Double Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Lads Help !!!!

I purchased an electric oven

I took out the old oven and wired up the new one. The top oven pumps out black smoke, the bottom oven doesn't work, do you think this is a problem with the oven, or the way in which it is wired up ??????

The oven has a 30 amp fuse rating, would this be different to the old one or is it standard ?

Sponsored Links
1) New ovens do sometimes smoke a bit when first turned on - not sure they should "pump out black smoke", but some initial fumes are not a concern.

2) If you've wired it up correctly, and operated the controls properly (e.g. have you set the clock?), i.e. if you are happy that you could defend yourself from an RTFM point of view, and one oven doesn't work then it would be reasonable to assume it is faulty.

3) As for the fuse, it must not be chosen purely on the basis of what the oven needs - its value must be such that it provides adequate protection to the cable. If it also allows sufficient current to flow to operate the appliance then this is a happy bonus for you, for it sounds as if you bought the new oven without first checking that the circuit supplying it was appropriately rated..... (that said, I think that 30A is OK for quite a lot of ovens). No matter how poor the instructions are, there must be a plate on the oven telling you what load it is.

Sponsored Links
ncolli1981 said:
The top oven pumps out black smoke, the bottom oven doesn't work

Have you tried to switch the bottom oven on when the top oven is off? Some cookers interlink the top & bottom ovens or ovens & grill so that only one works at a time.

ncolli1981 said:
Ok Lads Help !!!!

I purchased an electric oven

I took out the old oven and wired up the new one. The top oven pumps out black smoke, the bottom oven doesn't work, do you think this is a problem with the oven, or the way in which it is wired up ??????

The oven has a 30 amp fuse rating, would this be different to the old one or is it standard ?

You did take out all the polystyrene packaging before operating the oven didn't you? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back