Double oven replacment advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

My existing built in double oven is wired in 6m cable directly from my cooker outlet unit whch is roughly 600mm away, in return the cooker outlet unit is wired back to the consumer unit with its own 30 amp fuse.My question is that my new double ovens electrical connection plate states 240volts also the instruction book shows a fused plug connection. Would it be possible to use my existing 6m cable from my old oven and create a fused spare thus hard wiring the new oven in 2.5 wire from the fused spare.

Sponsored Links
You can either install a FCU (fused connection unit) and hardwire or you could go down the route of installing a socket outlet at the end of the circuit and plug the oven in to it. If all it requires is a 13A plug to power up.

I'm sure the double oven will exceed the capabilities of a 13Amp fused plug.

What is the power output of the double oven?
The max for a 13Amp fuse is 230*13 = 2.9kw.

Are you sure that the oven requires a plug?

You can either install a FCU (fused connection unit) and hardwire or you could go down the route of installing a socket outlet at the end of the circuit and plug the oven in to it. If all it requires is a 13A plug to power up.

Thank You I sincerely appreciate your help would it be OK to connect the 6m cable from the cooker outlet unit in to a standard FCU.

Sponsored Links

Thank You I sincerely appreciate your help would it be OK to connect the 6m cable from the cooker outlet unit in to a standard FCU.

No.... 13amps is the maximum you can connect to a FCU, or a plug for that matter.

Your double oven will most likey be 20 or 30 amps.

We need your oven make and model before we can comment further.

Concur with other posts re current draw. I have been looking extensively recently for a double oven that is 13A max for a longstanding client who would prefer not to have a new cable running in.

I have not managed to find a double oven suitable (I knew whilst searching it would be a lesson in futility!)

Many double ovens are 2.8kW+2.2kW or similar. Which equates to 5kW which is 22A.

The instructions may be referring to a standard for another country so you need to double check the power consumption. Or post make and model as suggested.

2.5mm T&E can be capable of carrying 22A. Although it depends on how it is fixed to or within the walls. It would require the CPD (fuse) to be changed to a 20A from the current 30A you have.

Why not use the 6mm thats already there though? Check installation manual to see if heat resistant cable (flex) is required.

high47
It will be handy at this stage to other a little more information regarding your new oven.
Output Power?
Make and Model?
Is the oven electric fuel only?

If the manufacturers instruction state it can be used via a 13A connection, my first post is still valid and you should be able to use the existing 6.0mm cable for the connection.

No.... 13amps is the maximum you can connect to a FCU, or a plug for that matter.

Your double oven will most likey be 20 or 30 amps.

We need your oven make and model before we can comment further.

My sincere apologies for the late reply. It is a whirlpool double oven model no 217/YP. The plate inside the oven door states V 230-240-50 HZ Service 4.6 KW. Backplate showing main connections shows 240 v. Would it be possible to use the 6mm cable from the cooker point fed into a small RCD consumer unit, fused down and connect the oven from there which could be used as an isolator switch and labelled fed from main cooker unit thus the RCD consumer unit could be isolated at the cooker unit

4.6kw = 20 amps.. Ha..!

Just wire it into the cooker connection plate as your old oven was.

Only doubt is a rcd (if you don't have one in your CU) but I dont think it's needs to be added just by replacing an oven.

My sincere apologies for the late reply. It is a whirlpool double oven model no 217/YP. The plate inside the oven door states V 230-240-50 HZ Service 4.6 KW. Backplate showing main connections shows 240 v. Would it be possible to use the 6mm cable from the cooker point fed into a small RCD consumer unit, fused down and connect the oven from there which could be used as an isolator switch and labelled fed from main cooker unit thus the RCD consumer unit could be isolated at the cooker unit
4600w means you cannot use a 13Amp plug.
I cannot understand why you cannot connect this oven the same way as the original oven. Why are you complicating things?

4600w means you cannot use a 13Amp plug.
I cannot understand why you cannot connect this oven the same way as the original oven. Why are you complicating things?

Sorry to complicate things but the instructions are confusing showing a plug and the previous oven was hard wired however the instructions appear to be general and not specific to this oven and is be installed to manufacturers instructions. I will double check everything tonight and thank you for your advice and time.

Sorry to complicate things but the instructions are confusing showing a plug and the previous oven was hard wired however the instructions appear to be general and not specific to this oven and is be installed to manufacturers instructions. I will double check everything tonight and thank you for your advice and time.
That oven number you have given does not exist in the Whirlpool double oven range.

All the current Whirlpool double ovens exceed 5kw of power and therefore CANNOT be plugged in.
If the instructions state that they can then either...
You have the wrong instructions.
You have the wrong oven...

In either case, if you are unsure, you should either contact Whirlpool and ask their advice or pay for an electrician to fit the oven for you.

I am afraid that I have given you all the advice I can based on the information you have supplied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back