IE / Chrome not bringing up web pages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home computers connects to the Internet via a wireless router. It can see the Internet because I can ping www.google.com.

However, when I bring up IE, the IE page comes up but it does not display any webpages. Error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" comes up. In the more information section of the error is
- The domain name server (DNS) is not reachable and other things.

I know that it can connect to the internet becuase I am able to ping www.google.com and other sites.

I have check the firewall and there seems to be nothing irregular there - there is no site blocking on IE.

I have checked ipconfig and my PC seems to have picked up a valid I~ address from the netgear router.

Because I cant bring up a webpage, I cant go to a download Google Chrome or IE.

Am at a loss. Any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Could be any number of things, but the first thing I think of is taking a look at Tools>>Internet Options>>Connections.

Without knowing your exact set up, I can't be specific, but from the menu above, select LAN settings, and ensure that 'automatically detect settings' is checked, and that the other options ('use automatic configuration script' and 'User Proxy server...') are unchecked. Also, from the main Connections menu, ensure that 'Never dial a connection' radio button is selected.

you may need to restart IE for this to take effect.

of course, that may not fix the problem at all, but in my experience, when I've mucked around with certain proxy server tools, OR, my browser hasn't shut down properly, the steps above have got me back online.

Update: Chrome shares IE connection settings, so that's why both browsers have this issue

Sponsored Links
Back