If fitting a drinking water fountain is a double check valve required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If installing a drinking fountain is a double check valve require on the cold feed to it?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of fountain. Is it WRAS approved? What do the installation instructions say?

I am not a plumber but would guess not as there is automatically an air break

Last edited:
If it is a downwards facing outlet then I would say probably not as it is similar to any tap with an air gap.

But if it is an upward facing jet then almost certainly as spit and any nasty stuff can fall into it by gravity.

Sponsored Links
Thanks not seen it yet off to look tomorrow. Agile your description of when one may and may not need one makes sense.

It was not a description but only my assessment based on general Water Regulation principles.

It did not come into my Water Regulations course!

Thanks its and upward facing jet, so will fit a double check valve. Also does anyone know what kind of height to set at. Would the normal basin height 820mm be about right?

Up, or downwards, would be irrelevant if the design of fountain has a water catchment area which, if the drain outlet should become blocked, would cause a pool of water to collect above the level of the water outlet. This would require double check valve.

It wouldn't no. Its just that as agile say spit etc could fall on the tap with it having an upward facing spout.

Southern water insist on a DCV due to risk of contaminants.
So Tony is sort of right :confused:. But he probably Googled

Thanks all I noticed with it is if you pressed the button down fully, it over sprayed over the fountains catchment area.

You're supposed to adjust the supply valve so that can't happen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back