If the architect right about this regarding planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. It's a single rear extension I'm talking about. It doesn't go all the way across the back. On the side it doesn't go across very far the architect said there'll be no problems if I go a bit wider than his drawing as it's around the back and it's distance from the boundary so can't be complained about on that side.
So I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts (and knowledge) about this. Cheers.
Hope I've explained it ok.

Sponsored Links
Does he mean it wont be a problem as in permitted development?

Blup
No you haven't.
I think you're right.
Firstly permission is granted. I'm talking about building it a bit wider than the plans without pushing my luck.
The extension when built will continue out the back on the right side. But it doesn't go all the way across as wide as the house is on the left. Making an L shape of the overall footprint of the house, like a lot of Victorian terrace houses do.
The architect said if I go a bit wider on the left it wouldn't bother the planners as it's at the back and the neighbours can't reasonably have an issue.
Does that help?

Sponsored Links
Not unusual for a planning permission to have a "shall be built strictly in accordance with submitted plans" type condition. If it wont bother the planners get them to confirm in writing.

Blup

Not unusual for a planning permission to have a "shall be built strictly in accordance with submitted plans" type condition.
It's written on every single permission ever issued.

Nobody can say whether the planners will be bothered by a bit here or there, anything beyond the approved plans is at risk, do you have any grumpy neighbours? Are we talking about 6" or 6'? It's all a bit arbitrary isn't it, when does the increase in size become a problem for the planners? You takes your chances or you can keep it formal and apply for an amendment to the approval.

Ask the architect to write you a formal letter stating you can build it bigger and the planners won't mind. He won't.

Last edited:
It might annoy the builders as well. They'll have quoted in the dimensions provided and won't want to be adding a bit here and there which isn't defined in a plan.

Not unusual for a planning permission to have a "shall be built strictly in accordance with submitted plans" type condition. If it wont bother the planners get them to confirm in writing.

Blup
Thanks. Mind you in this area they would take months getting round to it.
I'm thinking of making it about about 10 inches wider. ( That's to Freddie's twin).
It might annoy the builders as well. They'll have quoted in the dimensions provided and won't want to be adding a bit here and there which isn't defined in a plan.
I'm doing the brickwork and foundations. It's a very small difference by the way.

Thought I'd add a sketch.

Attachments

• IMG_20230314_095832504.jpg
    IMG_20230314_095832504.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 51
Unless you have an enormous house that's PD and you've wasted any money spent on a planning application.

Best case there ok with it and you resubmit planning and pay another fee worst case they make you take it down and rebuild to the original agreed plans.

No one can advise you as to which will happen and your architect is making you aware of the rules so he's not liable if you go ahead and do it.

Plenty of posts on here and newspaper articles of people who have failed to follow agreed planning permission and its all gone tits up.

If your genuinely talking less than a foot wider then I'd probably do it and stay quiet but if you were hoping for loads of people to say we did it and if was fine so you feel better about trying to grab 6ft extra it's not going to happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back