Ignition failure at peak times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The traditional teaching is not influenced by the OP's appliances!

Sponsored Links
Actually, there's no advice being given to a DIYer, it's a general discussion on how the people being called in to solve a problem are handling it. The OP hasn't done anything himself, and isn't asking for any DIY advice and in fairness, Aglie isn't telling the OP what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brief update: home emergency (insurance) sent a chap over who thinks its electrodes that need changing. As they came round on a Friday they ordered parts and said they'd be round "next week". We'd cancelled the Vaillant callout but am wondering whether they'd have been able to do the repairs on the first visit (they were due to come out on Monday). The boiler can fire up but does eventually switch off after failed ignition attempts (with the worrying internal explosions / banging heard from inside the boiler when this happens). Waking up to a cold house every morning but, so far, can have the heating on for a few hours (before it cuts out at some point). I couldn't get it on a couple of days ago and had to have an ice cold shower - I suppose we've all been there! The problem could still be a valve or regulator or something else. We'll see what happens when the electrodes are swapped out. Three years in, should they be getting worn out already?

Sponsored Links
Many electrodes do change their shape because they operate at about 300 C.

I always inspect and check the gap on a service.

Tony

Once I had the first cold shower Vaillant would of being called out, these cheap home insurances are never that good.

Andy

You keep having to reset the boiler, it's not doing itself any favours with explosive ignition and you finally have the same diagnosis Steelmasons gave you at the start of the thread that it's a boiler fault (though probably not electrodes) ;)

And you still haven't called out the people that will know the boiler inside out and have the parts on the van to fix it properly first time just in case they charge you £90??

Confused.com :rolleyes:

The temperature in the spark is very high.

The electrode is against the chamber wall and heat is conducted away through the electrode to the door. I agree the tip is in the flame and probably gets to 500-600 C.

As you should know they are very soft indeed when glowing cherry red.

Tony

A real engineer would know that an item being described as cherry red is at a temp in excess of 700 degC, not the 300 you first wrote, nor the 500-600!you now say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back