Ignition intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vokera compact boiler started to not ignite at times, till eventually it wouldn't ignite at all.
Called an engineer who disconnected the rubber hose at the top of the boiler above the fan and blew into it.
That seemed to 'fix' the problem, but he warned me that it could recur and a new boiler would be needed.

If blowing into the tube, cleared the problem, doesn't that indicate a blockage down the line at the air switch?
I.e not enough air getting to the switch or a faulty switch?

Would a new fan or a new switch then not fix the issue?

Sponsored Links
I think you need a gas-safe engineer more familiar with your specific model of boiler.

Try contacting Vokera for a fixed-price repair?

Reactions: CBW
I did use a gas safe engineer.
I am trying to undersatnd why he decided that by blowing into the hose that would fix the problem - which it did though perhaps not permanently so,

I did use a gas safe engineer.
I am trying to undersatnd why he decided that by blowing into the hose that would fix the problem - which it did though perhaps not permanently so,
I think you need a gas-safe engineer more familiar with your specific model of boiler.

Try contacting Vokera for a fixed-price repair?
Doubt you need a new boiler, so as per @polesapart, try an engineer familiar with that make and or model or Vokéra for fpr, or just an engineer willing to repair it properly rather than just state “new boiler”.

Sponsored Links
You definately do not need a new boiler, it is a very simple repair, but as it involves gas work I can not advise you on here as it is against site rules, get an engineer that knows about your boiler, if you say where you are I may be able to recommend someone, or as some have said get a fixed price repair from Vokera , but that is steep for the simple repair that your boiler requires

• Thanks
ian - thank you. I appreciate the issue around gas safety and the site rules, and I would certainly not attempt to work on a boiler.
The engineer I had out, seemed pretty confident around the Vokera - told me the likely age and price of new parts. All in all came across at the time as a trustworthy character. But I will go for another opinion I am in Anniesland area of Glasgow if you can recommend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back