IKEA beech worktop split - Guaranteed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We had an Ikea kitchen installed a couple of years ago with solid beech worktops. A split developed a few months after this - only now have I bothered to contact IKEA to see if I can get it sorted on the back of the 25 guarantee they offer.

So we had the 3rd party inspection a week or so ago which has gone back to IKEA claiming "no manufacturing fault." i.e it must be someone else's fault! Just so happens that this type of process has been highlighted in the media recently, see:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/28/ikea-25-year-kitchen-guarantee

So this is pretty much exactly what I have experienced.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it's worth me digging my heals in with this? I have oiled the worktop regularly by the way.

cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Looks like a clear case of faulty manufacture unless they can prove you failed to maintain the top, worth getting you own third party to inspect and have a word with trading standards.

thanks for your reply - yes I would tend to agree with you unsurprisingly! I've requested a copy of the 3rd party report which can take 5-6 weeks to arrive for some reason.

In the meantime I suppose I get an expert in to take a look. Does anyone know of such a person in south east London?

Cheers

The sales of goods act will say that items purchased must be
* as described
* fit for purpose
* of satisfactory quality
If they are not the seller is in-breach of contract.

Even if the purchase was made over a year ago and the fact they are saying their product will be good for 25yrs, I would be rattling their cage!

Sponsored Links
It hasn't been screwed solidly to another piece of wood underneath has it? with no slots or other allowance for movement?
I'm not a kitchen fitter but I assume that possible movement across the grain has to be taken into account.
As far as experts are concerned. I'd have thought there were plenty of experts around who are qualified to write a report. Whether the supplier will accept that report is a different matter.

It hasn't been screwed solidly to another piece of wood underneath has it? with no slots or other allowance for movement?
I'm not a kitchen fitter but I assume that possible movement across the grain has to be taken into account.

The above is the most likely explanation, but it could also be caused by uneven moisture contents of the laminates at manufacture combined with a weak bond.

How do Ikea kitchens work, do they fit them?

The problem with my latter explanation is that it is harder to prove/disprove, which may or may not work in your favour.

Thanks guys. The kitchen was fitted by a friend of mine - a carpenter by trade and i trust his work. I've just taken a picture above the washing machine - you can see how the top is fixed to the separator panels (not sure what these are called.) I guess this is normal. Can't see any other fixtures.

cheers

Dan

Can't see from your shots, but the screws should be in the slots that are across the grain.
If that lighter line is the split though, and if the screw goes into it, they will probably say that the screw caused it.

thanks for this - The 3rd party inspector didn't even look under the worktops so is essentially accusing me of mistreating them with zero evidence!

Is this defect directly above the washing machine? If so that could possibly be the cause of the problem, if the underside was not sealed or protected from moisture/condensation

yes the washing machine and dishwasher are underneath the area in question. But there is a smaller split next to the cooker also so that line of evidence doesn't apply I don't think.

Like I said the guy didn't even look underneath the worktop.

cheers.

Can't see from your shots, but the screws should be in the slots that are across the grain.
You'd normally use stretcher plates like these:

(illustration for benefit of OP). The slotted side goes against the underside of the worktop and ONE screw is used in the appropriate groove, depending on grain direction (it should allow expansion and contraction ACROSS the grain).

Should be a steam/vapour barrier above dishwasher and washing machines as they give off a fair bit of steam when working.

No barrier can cause this type of damage and a supplier would not be liable - sorry.

The crack occurs because of shrinkage.

Not sure why you think moisture from a washing machine would be significant, and would cause shrinkage.

Plenty of chipboard core tops, unsealed, above washing machines that are fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back