worktop - vapour barrier for washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Think this is the right place to post - it involves wood worktops.

I'm making good progress fitting and customising my Ikea kitchen but now need to fit the beech worktops. The Ikea website said I only need to fit a vapour barrier above a dishwasher (which we don't have) but the instructions that came with the worktops said that you need to fit a vapour barrier above an oven and a washing machine as well.

Ikea only seem to offer a plastic barrier http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/04375085 for dishwashers - we live too far away to go to ikea for just one thing - is there anything else that I could use instead? I read some where that clear sticky back plastic would do the job for the washing machine. But what about the oven? The hob will sit directly above the built in oven so is anything necessary? Any and all advice much appreciated!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any help much appreciated - trying to fit the worktop today as the plumber is coming tomorrow!

thanks again

Sponsored Links
hi deluks

I'm assuming the foil and contact adhesive would be for the hob- which is above the oven?

many thanks!

No sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were on about DW and WM's.

If you have a build under oven with a hob on top then I wouldn't worry too much. Steam from a freshly opened dishwasher is the biggest problem. Heat comes from an oven, with maybe a little bit of steam. In any case plastic would be no good.

If you are talking about a barrier between an oven and a WM which sits next to it, then again don't worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back