How to join an ikea worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Stuggling to find a joiner so going to fit 2 L shape thin work tops from IKEA :- https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ekbacken-worktop-concrete-effect-laminate-60335651/

The instructions tell me to not biscuit or clamp them together but just push them up next to each other and add a bead of silicone to the join?

It feels a little cow boy but I'm happy to do it this way as it's easier and means I don't need more tools!

Can I confirm that this is indeed a valid way to joint 2 worktops together?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would have biscuited them together to keep the tops the same height, and possibly a worktop clamp or two, routed in underneath... to keep them tight together.

Only issue is, it may be solid or hollow inside, so gluing together is probably as good as it gets.
Perhaps something strong, like puraflex might help, you can get it in black.

Just make sure all cabinets underneath are screwed into worktop(s).

I would have biscuited them together to keep the tops the same height, and possibly a worktop clamp or two, routed in underneath... to keep them tight together.

Only issue is, it may be solid or hollow inside, so gluing together is probably as good as it gets.
Perhaps something strong, like puraflex might help, you can get it in black.

Just make sure all cabinets underneath are screwed into worktop(s).
Brilliant thank you, how needed are the clamps? The instructions don't mention it and the work top is 22mm thick I think so I feel if I router it it might go though ☺️

At 22mm, think I wouldn't bother with the clamps.

But it must be secured to the units, possibly a batten on the wall, and small angle brackets.

If you are installing cabinets, 'space plugs' are useful, especially if you have to bring cabinets off the wall slightly. (y)

Sponsored Links
At 22mm, think I wouldn't bother with the clamps.
They're actually 28mm thick according to IKEA. I agree with you about alignment biscuits being a good idea

...how needed are the clamps? The instructions don't mention it and the work top is 22mm thick I think so I feel if I router it it might go though ☺️
There is an alternative to the "traditional" routed-in dog bone worktop fasteners. Solmer sell a surface mounted worktop joiner:

Kitchen Worktop Connector Bolt Solmer.jpg

Personally, I think I'd add two or three of those to the joint, regardless of what IKEA say, I'm not at all happy with just depending on silicone to keep the joint tight (you're right, it is very cowboy-ish). At 28mm (thickness as quoted in the link you posted) the worktop is thick enough to take dog bones, but those do require a router and a jig (or a joiner) to do the cut-outs whilst the Solmers don't. The Solmers, like all worktop joiners, require the tops of the units you are resting the worktop on to be dead flat, which should be a given in any case

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back