Joining beveled Ikea wood veneer worktops seamlessly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to get the Ikea Karlby walnut veneer with particle board underside worktop and by the nature of my kitchen (its a 4m length along a wall) it will need to be joined at least once in the main working area. These come with beveled edges and I was wondering if anyone had any experience in joining these seamlessly without a dip in the middle due to the beveled edges? Or do the ends of the worktop have no bevels?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/karlby-worktop-walnut-veneer-00335201/

I will be getting someone who knows what they are doing to do this for me, but just want to know if it is possible before I buy the worktop.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looking at the instructions online it looks like there are beveled edges on the edge.
But a kitchen fitter would have the correct jigs to accurately cut the edge off and it looks like a biscuit joiner is recommended?
As they can be refinished, if fitted in a long length, a small amount of work might be needed at the point that they join edge to edge

Forming either a straight or 90° joint won't be a problem for a kitchen fitter or joiner. In the case of a straight joint to fit your 4m length the adjoining ends will be cut back and more than likely trimmed with a router to provide 2 perfect edges. In fact this worktop has a 3mm walnut veneer which can be sanded so you can expect a very smooth join. Although as Foxhole says it won't be seamless as the individual staves of the 2 worktops will all end in a straight line at the join.

Sponsored Links
Forming either a straight or 90° joint won't be a problem for a kitchen fitter or joiner. In the case of a straight joint to fit your 4m length the adjoining ends will be cut back and more than likely trimmed with a router to provide 2 perfect edges. In fact this worktop has a 3mm walnut veneer which can be sanded so you can expect a very smooth join. Although as Foxhole says it won't be seamless as the individual staves of the 2 worktops will all end in a straight line at the join.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering about. Good to know it is possible to have a seamless level surface...question then is if I can live with the pattern not being seamless!

Put your microwave over it . Your more expensive alternative is to opt for solid walnut, you can get 4m lengths in that. I've got solid walnut in my house and one length is 4m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back