il78 or breezer(or anyone else) HELP!!

S

supersparks

Just wondering, im looking at the testing section of my on site guide and the insulation testing section,(test to earth) and on the diagram it only shows a test between neutral and earth, do you also need to do one between phase and earth?(and take the lowest reading of the two) or can you bridge phase and neutral and test between the combined two and earth?

AR

Sponsored Links
Test between all conductors (phase-phase@400V / Phase-Neutral / Phase-Earth / Neutral-Earth) or do as you said test between both (ie, main meter loops disconnected, test all circuits at once, if you get a dodgy reading turn the MCBs off one by one until it clears......

Are you filling in a periodic inspection report? or just testing.....

well, im not a sparks yet :cry: and i have had alot of experience with the wiring up, circuit priciples, ect andonly in the last couple of months i have realised that i know hardly anything about the testing side and volt drop, correction factoes ect, so im going through the osg looking at 'how to' and attempting to teach myself, but that was one of the things that i got to and dident understand so i thaught id ask :D
btw never thaught about disconnecting the tails and testing the lot, what about Rcds arnt they affected by the high voltage if you did it that way to a split load board?
any more tips?
Thanks again its helping me on my way :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've always done IR testing like that and never had problems with the RCD.......and this is how a guy from the NICEIC taught me.......you'll never stop learning, I'm planning on doing C&G 2400, (nightmare)

if you are going to test a consumers unit (after you have just installed / changed it) all sockests should have nothing plugged in and all lamps taken out etc, this is so that you do not get any "false readings"

Cheers for the replys 2 more if you dont mind?
1) in the osg it says about polarity tests on lighting circuit, why do you need to do this? is it to check that the phase is switched, not the neutral?

2)can you explain how you test r1 + r2(and write it on the form(calculate it))(like it says on the forms under continuity) and what about the one that just says r2, does it only apply to rings? and do you just test one end of the cpc against the other with a multimeter?(and do you do all the above tests with a multi?

Cheers
AR

One big thing; How do you find out the PSC?

and what do you do about dimmer switches and floresant lighting on the circuit(s)
Cheers again!

AR

Your best bet to understand it is to buy the inspection and testing book from the NICEIC or any decent wholesaler, gives you all the disgrams aswell......(i aint that good at explaining testing procedures without you in front of me with a meter and I dont want to give you crap advice)....Its one of them "its easier to do then say"

Yea i know what you mean, i think i will invest in more books :) thanks anyway

AR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back