Illegal levels of air pollution linked to child's death

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Perhaps for the first time, pollution (including traffic fumes) has been linked to a death.

I'm sure this will be rubbished in the same way that health damage from cigarette smoking, asbestos, and lead were rejected by the cigarette, asbestos and lead industries, for scores of years, while millions died.

""Unlawful levels of air pollution contributed to the cause and seriousness of Ella's asthma in a way that greatly compromised her quality of life and was causative of her fatal asthma attack."

He examined records gathered by a government-monitored air pollution monitoring station in Catford, just one mile from Ella's house, and another three miles from her home.

According to Prof Holgate, the fact the monitoring stations were so close to Ella's house meant the results, when combined with data from King's College London and correlated with Ella's hospital visits, were "particularly insightful."

Spikes in air pollution coincided with all but one of Ella's hospital admissions.

And she died after one of the "worst air pollution episodes in her locality." "

Sponsored Links
The problems of air pollution are not helped by these ridiculous 20mph limits. To avoid straying over 20mph, I have to use second gear, which pumps out far more pollution than 30mph in 5th. One of my previous cars, a BMW, was in first gear in order to hold 20mph. But, as usual, it's the poor B. Motorist gets the blame.

The South Circular runs through Catford, lots of lorries, buses, cars. But what can be done? As Astra said the 20 mph & hump traffic calming schemes exacerbate the problem, that along with people driving round & round trying to find a place to park, constant stop start due to road closures for new slums to be built. The council & mayor of London should pull their fingers out

Sponsored Links
The poor child had asthma in the first place.
As do many more kids now, compared to when I was a nipper.
We should address the root causes, as well as the peak exposures.

As a child I suffered with asthma, and I had to have time off school to go to clinics for "breathing exercises". I suffered badly up until my teens and it almost disappeared. I get odd bouts now & then, but just wheezing & coughing on close nights. I started smoking at 14 & wonder if that (which stopped me running about like a loon) helped (the not running-not the smoking). Still get hay fever & bouts of eczema, as they are all linked.

diesel particulates are now known to be irritant and very harmful.

The Euston Underpass (when I worked up there) was said to be the worst place in the country (lots of taxis)

Live in London and the air makes me Ill. Blood in my nose. Dry skin. Fuking horrible. Nothing will change any time soon as the energy companies have all governments over a barrel. We could have been driving electric cars 100 years ago. That's not how the world works unfortunately. .. response from Kahn is another stealth tax for general punters and his proposal to ban log burners...certain log burners. Wonderful.

The problems of air pollution are not helped by these ridiculous 20mph limits. To avoid straying over 20mph, I have to use second gear, which pumps out far more pollution than 30mph in 5th. One of my previous cars, a BMW, was in first gear in order to hold 20mph. But, as usual, it's the poor B. Motorist gets the blame.
Die of asthma or die by getting run over as a child, decisions decisions!
While I agree they're not helpful with pollution, if motorists drove sensibly and stuck to speed limits then there would be no need for 20mph zones. I would so like to have a 20mph zone where I live, instead I get people driving 40+ in a built up residential street that is full of young familes and pets.

End of the day there are too many people, too many buses, taxi's, cars and planes. If the government really gave a stuff about our health then they'd make public transport really cheap, much cheaper to use than our own cars.

If the government really gave a stuff about our health then they'd make public transport really cheap, much cheaper to use than our own cars.
Even now with the fares they charge the trains are overcrowded. Making it cheaper would increase the burden & reduce revenue for increasing capacity, bit of a catch 22.

Even now with the fares they charge the trains are overcrowded. Making it cheaper would increase the burden & reduce revenue for increasing capacity, bit of a catch 22.
Yes true. Also money is more important than the health of the public, has been for many a year. Some things should be a service primarily, not just a money making machine.

Some muppet said diesels would be better for the envirionment, and encouraged their use through taxation. Over 10 years later from his change of policy, we have worsening air quality. Seems he was wrong about several things.

with huge chimneys on the coal fired power stations belching out pollution, ash, mercury and sulphur.

And the batteries of 1920, the size and weight of a small car.

Or to put it another way

No we couldn't

Yes, but all those foul smoke belching power stations would have been up north so it didnt matter.

Yes true. Also money is more important than the health of the public, has been for many a year. Some things should be a service primarily, not just a money making machine.

Ideology and no analysis of externalities. The issue is multi-factorial. More people now are in temporary employment and are travelling further and longer to work. You remember the **** Portillo waxing lyrical about more jobs in life and less jobs for life, Well here are the consequences of less jobs for life.

The irony is that its Neo Liberal policies over the last 40 years that have got us here and now the same people who have been hurt the most are actually going to vote for even more of these policies.

Sponsored Links
Back