I'm worried but not worried - Ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an old lady house (2 up/2 down - small detached - 1930s) and I'm in the middle of the renovations.

The roof was removed and a new loft conversion was added. Box style sitting on three steel beams.

So now I get to my issues/concern.

The house is about 4m wide and from what I can tell the ceiling joists go across the full spam.
They are 100x50mm in size and about 30 cm between them.

In the front bedroom there is no supporting wall. The rear bedroom/bathroom has a wall in the middle (I removed a small wall between the old toilet and bathroom which was running parallel to the joints.

The wall that is left looks like it has been built up to the joists and the joist do not sit on the wall. There is even plaster board between them.
I'm not removing the wall but I just the concern that it seemed odd to me and that there is a large span between the outer walls.

I guess the house has been standing for 90 years. So I shouldn't worry

Sponsored Links
What's your precise concern, the loft conversion or the ceiling joists in the floor below, or both? What did your SE say when he designed the loft conversion?

Sponsored Links
Here are some photos and I will try and explain better

You can see in picture below both side external walls (front of house with windows). The gap is around 4m across.
The small wall on the right was a cupboard that was not load bearing at all.

house 1.jpg

So in the rear half of the house there are two rooms split by a wall. I don't think this is load bearing based on the following photos. These are the joists and the wall looks to have been built up to them as the plaster board is between the joist and the centre wall.

house 3.jpghouse 2.jpg

What I want to do is remove the portion of wall at the rear that you can see sticking out in both photos (part in either room)

house 5.jpghouse 4.jpg

They are made of breeze block and laid on the floorboards and the ground floor underneath does not match the shape.

The joists are 100mm x 55 and spaced 350mm centre to centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back