Images in private conversations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tried to paste an image (PrtSc into paint then copy a selection) into a private conversation, right click shows the word paste as active (exactly as I do in forum posts) but nothing happens when I try to paste.

Is there a simple way to do this? I don't use spam ridden sites like dropbox, imgur etc.

Sponsored Links
I’ve never been able to post photos in conversations, not sure why.

I only know how to do it using sites you don't like..

Before the software change a while back it was easy to post a link to 'my media' in this site.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I think it's the storage of images that can soon take up storage space. That costs money.
Better to use 3rd party.
Only takes me around 15 seconds to upload image and get link.
I've not had a problem with spam ect. They need to show adverts to make money so I tend to ignore it. Re spam. How are you receiving that? Pop ups ect?

I think it's the storage of images that can soon take up storage space. That costs money.
Better to use 3rd party.
Only takes me around 15 seconds to upload image and get link.
I've not had a problem with spam ect. They need to show adverts to make money so I tend to ignore it. Re spam. How are you receiving that? Pop ups ect?
I had a Dell pc running XP, Macaffee and AVG. Downloaded images from Dropbox and Imgur and both came with a virus which harmed my bios and bricked the pc.
A friend took the hard drive and managed to recover lots of my data but probably half was unreadable, luckily many critical documents I'd also saved as paper printout in job files - primarily to take to site and anything to do with invoices, tax etc onto memory sticks and stored in our firesafe. He was able to identify the virus had come from both sites and the user (someone on this site) but not which images had done the deed or a possibility the 2 may have worked together.

Either way that PC motherboard found a new home courtesy of the local council and resulted in a better PC at my end but lots of effort and data loss which I really didn't need.

Following all of that my friend demonstrated how easy it is (Hopefully was) to post a virus on Dropbox,

however today I did a lil'ol' google:
1671970085433.png

I Dare say that with careful constant tweeking anything I download can be safely scanned and dealt with but that assumes I'm more computer savvy than I am...

Since starting to write this (I'm home alone with covid) I contacted my friend (who also happens to be home alone with covid) and asked if it's still valid, he uploaded what promised to be a picture of a puppy. On his instructions I downloaded it and straightaway this pic of the puppy appeared full screen and a locked my keyboard and mouse:
1671971466248.png
That won't happen here.

The only thing to do was switch PC off and restarting opened into the classic scull and crossbones but a dogs scull eating the bones and the words "Hee Hee f***wit you have been well screwed (at this point there were some laughing gnomes rolling around at uncontrollable full volume from my laptop speakers despite having external amp plugged into headphone socket) to get your sorry excuse for a computer back ring this number +4477******** and have your credit card ready" Again the keyboard and mouse appeared to not do anything.
It happened to be the number I was talking to him on the whole time. and straight away he said to type AZaz ten times and the picture flashed off the screen for maybe fifteen seconds to show my desktop with all my icons being sucked into one labelled "SUCKER" but the background was flashing rapidly between different colours. another 15 seconds or so then the puppy returned and my icons started spewing out of the mouth to roughly resume their original position with the puppy as the backdrop which then faded to the correct image. All through that, little dialogue boxes also appeared from the mouth with various abusive messages.
He also said how my directories and files had been securely locked in that time and attempting to access any file would have changed the content of it and likely corrupted to unuseable. The whole sequence took maybe 45 minutes.

Just to confirm my friend works in depth with IT security and I trust him implicitly with my IT. This virus is one that ran a rampage through a big multisite company except the original immediately downloaded the virus when a user went into their emails and the instructions said to pay paypal as a personal gift and get a code to type. His company was able to shut down their system quite quickly and cloned one of the users PCs to work on. After than the adapted it to use as a demonstration.

So that is currently possible on Dropbox without being detected by my BT internet security, google security, firefox, Norton and Eset. All of which make some sort of claim to keep me safe.

Merry Christmas and keep safe.
Sunray.

Last edited:
One site I visit has for a few years now banned the use of several image depositories.

They consider the risk of virus infected files stored in the depository being downloaded onto member's devices is too high.

I use https://postimages.org/
You upload image but you don't download anything.
You inset the url (link to the photo) which is the hotlink to forum one.

Also from what I understand if you upload a virus in an image to Dropbox it can come back when downloaded...
Dropbox can't insert virus to any file it's just a storage site run on amazon servers.

Also if your having troubles or worried don't run as administrator.
Create a login on pc with no rights. Then you can't infect yourself so easy and if you do the damage is limited to that login account..
I've created multiple logins for family members and one for mother in law and neighbour.
Try as they might they go no chance to install anything as I've took away those rights. If something goes wrong I can deal with it without my files getting damaged.
I myself don't even login as administrator unless I run software updates..

One site I visit has for a few years now banned the use of several image depositories.

They consider the risk of virus infected files stored in the depository being downloaded onto member's devices is too high.
Yes I'm not surprised.

Sponsored Links
Back