Immersion element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing three combination boilers tomorrow, not the conventional type combi, but called combination due to integral feed tank. Anyway they are heated by a 3kw immersion element with bottom entry, thinking of using loctite 55 on threads as a backup to the o ring seal, is there any reasons to appose this idea. These boilers are only providing hot water to handwash basins and double bowl sinks in a catering kitchen.

Sponsored Links
I think that the word you are looking for is cylinder. Anyway, why not? better still use some LS-X.

will the locktite only work on the threads? wont you have "fun" when they need replacing?

breezer said:
will the locktite only work on the threads? wont you have "fun" when they need replacing?
Think that that was the idea, aiding the o ring.
Having replaced immersions on conventional Cylinders i've never witnessed any additional sealant, only these are not conventional cylinders they are certainly boilers, as said the immersion boss is on the bottom, and thinking of the future need for replacing the manufacturers have supplied a 1/2" MT which threads into the bottom also, along with the HW pipe connection.
the reason im asking is i was wondering if additional sealing aids would make the immersion element become stuck within the boss over a period of time with being heated continuously.

suppose ill just suck it and see.

Sponsored Links
I replaced an element in a Sadia version of one of these. It was last year, but I don't remember much about it, which probably means I did nothing special, i.e. fibre washer plus some LS-X.

Thank you softus. Have found a line in the MI's saying not to use any forms of silicon on the thread, cant think why not but I'll go with the loctite55.

Incidently these are the Apollo 175 by Hyco-manufacturing.

BTW, when I said I use LS-X, I don't put it on IH element threads. :eek:

I haven't ever used Loctite 55 - is this just PTFE tape in a different form?

Softus said:
I haven't ever used Loctite 55 - is this just PTFE tape in a different form?

Yes, Its fantastic stuff, can be used on most things, gases,air, water including drinking. The best of it is you can back wind a joint and it wont leak, seen this on a rig in the shop.

Do a lot of gaspipes in black iron cutting my own threads, never had a drop since using this. :eek:

Sorry to sound stupid, but I thought "bank wind" was what happens after eating too many beans. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back