Immersion heater element (replacing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace the element on my immersion heater, I've worked out that I need an 11" element and a immersion wrench - and know where to buy these. However, I am concerned that the current element is fixed in with some sealant. What technique should I use to remove the old one without damaging the tank? And would I need to apply sealant when fitting the new one? (or ptfe tape?) ...Also is there anything else that I might need to know about doing this? (i have already drained the tank)

thanks

TNM

Sponsored Links
The box type spanner is best and you may want to tighten it very very slightly first, this "breaks the thread"

DO NOT over tighten it as this can buckle your cylinder and ptfe tape is a good idea

Got the parts to replace the element-

but I am having trouble removing the old element - it won't budge. It looks like it has some sort of glue or resin applied where it meets the tank. What is the best way to deal with this?

TNM

Sponsored Links
i should say a utility knife run round the "gap" to break the seal, but do be careful

Heating it with a soldering torch may let you break it but it's a 50/50 chance you'll either break the seal or rip the cylinder!.Even if you call in a plumber he will tell you that he will probably rip your cylinder so prepare yourself for a hefty bill.
Why do you need to replace the immersion heater is it actually broken or is it just the thermostat?

Hi nearly posted this the other day.The element is always hard to remove cos the joining compound will have set good and proper during the long lifetime of the immersion element.You need to get a cheap propane gas gun,heat the area round the element evenly.Don't try forcing the element,it may take a few mins but it WILL become free.The thread is really coarse so take great care not to cross thread the new element.Plenty of plumbers tape and make sure the join is water tight BEFORE you reconnect the electric, as you cannot turn the element once reconneted.(Been there done that)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back