Immersion heater hot water fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a fully electric hot water system with a seperate tank for cold and hot water. The hot water one has 2 immersion heaters, 1 off-peak supply and 1 peak supply.

The off-peak supply is always turned on and rarely if ever use the peak supply.

A few days ago i noticed the hot water from the tap was extremely hot and the cold water from the tap was warm-hot. I checked the cold water tank and this was warm.

I have turned off the power supply and drained the cold water tank and this has sorted out that problem, however I dont know what the problem with the off peak immersion heater is. It works when I turn it back on and begins to heat the water but fails to auto switch off. It even works during peak hours if I turn it on.

Is it broke and does it need replacing?

It would appear that it does not switch off regardless of time or temperature. It is a THERMTEC LTD immersion heater 3KW 50hz if that means anything.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a better solution, before you electrocute yourself or your children, switch off the power (As you have done already, well done!) and call a qualified plumber or electrician.

I have a better solution, before you electrocute yourself or your children, switch off the power (As you have done already, well done!) and call a qualified plumber or electrician.

You have 4 posts, I've read 2, and they are both very sarcastic & unhelpful, can I ask your reason for registering?

And yes I know, it's a free world, and you can do as you like, but you may find this is a nice, friendly forum.

Sponsored Links
Swidders, thank you for that info it has been very helpful. It is the thermostat that has gone as it is just overheatingand does cut out when off peak hours end.

Metasis, dont plan on electrocuting myself and am aware how to turn off electricity without it flowing to the heater there should be no danger or electrocution!! Have been assured by someone who has done it before that it is a fairly simple job and wont cost a lot if I keep the plumbers away!! Thanks anyway though.

Thank you DIYNOT.COM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back