Rusty hot water but the cylinder is copper. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tenant has complained of slightly yellow/brown tinted hot water from the tap. The cold taps are fine.
The flat has electrically heated water stored in the usual insulated copper cylinder with both daytime and off-peak immersion heater elements. All the pipework is copper. This has been happening for the past 3 days, and running the tap for 5 minutes doesn't clear it. Water from the cold taps is clear, so the supply is not the problem.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
galvanised feed tank in loft/airing cupboard feeding hot water tank rusty inside

Thanks for those two suggestions. I'll check them both.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect corned up sediment that sits dormant base of cylinder.
If metal storage cistern is rusted, cold water in bath would be rusty too. Sometimes the sediment gets disturbed here too to result in discoloured water.
Check the cylinder immersion heater is not causing the water to boil ie not cutting out

Best to get a proper plumber to inspect,issue a report and if necessary carry out remedial works.It helps to reduce 'landlord risk' and shows the landlord is acting in a responsible manner.

The tenant could have searched the internet,looking for reasons of discoloured water and hopefully not thinking its the L word (y)

drowned pigeon on the loft tank.

Clean it out, sterilise it, fit a tight-fitting plastic lid and an insulating jacket.

Keep the immersion heater in the cylinder on, it will at least pasteurise the water and reduce the bacterial content.

:sick: (vom)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back