Immersion Heater Issues and Overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have an immersion heater and would like some advice on some issues I am having.

I have the kind of tank that takes 2 elements, an economy seven element at the bottom of the tank and a boost element in the middle.

When we moved in 3 years ago the bottom element wasn't working so had to resort to using only the middle boost element. It's a 2 bed flat and only 2 of us so was sufficient to have the boost on for 1 hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

A year and a half ago I attempted to change the bottom element (bigger task than I imagined) and eventually managed to get a new one in. There was a LOT of lime scale at the bottom of the tank, or what I believed to be lime scale. I cleared some of that stuff and installed the new element.

This new element only lasted 2 and half weeks and now no longer heats the tank. I don't know if the scale at the bottom of the tank caused it to blow or if its just the electrics. What's the best way to test if the element is still operational?

The middle element hasn't been changed and still works but I believe the thermostat has gone as the pipe can get very hot and the water coming out the the taps can scald. If we leave it on too long by mistake then the entire system heat up, even the cold tank upstairs (won't be making this mistake again).

Can I replace the thermostat in the middle immersion without draining the tank? I don't want to take the thermostat out and have hot water gushing out. Is it safe to do even though it is horizontal and in the middle?

I believe the scalding water has caused some damage to the flexible piping that goes into a water pump for the shower and now this has started leaking. I am getting a plumber to fix the piping but want to be aware of my options and up on knowledge so the plumber wont do more than is required.

I am considering changing the entire tank as I think it is about 20 years old but really cant afford it right now.

Also would it be more advisable in the interim to run the middle immersion off the economy seven or just leave it how it is and carry running it on the regular meter?

Apologies for the long post, hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can change the thermostat without draining down. Isolate the power to immersions, then remove element cap. Undo connections to stat, then slide it out of its tube. Replace it with one the same.

The scale in your tank sounds like you live in a hard water area. This could be why the elements aren't lasting.

Replace with an Incoloy one for hard water.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Heating/Immersion-Heaters/icat/hcimmheaters

Thanks for the quick response. Just wanted to be sure that all elements are similar and the thermostat can be replaced. look similar to the picture I have seen on the net but there is always that doubt.

Any advise on running middle element off the economy seven. Not sure if a max of 3 hours on regular is likely more expensive than 7 hours on eco7.

Sponsored Links
Turn power off to bottom immersion, remove cap and push in the reset button.

As for the top immersion, turn power off and remove stat and refit a new one, this will come with a reset button built into it. No more boiling over.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back