Immersion heater leaking since last night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can’t get hold of landlord so not sure what safety measures to take in the meantime.

Immersion heater had lots of hot water flowing through turndish but it changed to intermittent drip once I switched off the power for the heater. The bottom also has cool water dripping.

What else can I do to make sure my flat is not in danger.

Sponsored Links
Don't turn on the immersion heater, simples. By the sounds of it, it is the expansion water that it being dumped and that means the (unvented?) hot water cylinder probably needs serviced. When you say the the bottom also has cool water dripping, where exactly do you mean? Couple of pics may help.

What make of cylinder is it as some have an expansion bubble that can safely be re-charged by the user.

Give the landlord 24hrs to respond (no hot water) with a follow up that if he doesn't then you will get someone it to fix it and send the bill to him.

Don't turn on the immersion heater, simples. By the sounds of it, it is the expansion water that it being dumped and that means the (unvented?) hot water cylinder probably needs serviced.

What make of cylinder is it as some have an expansion bubble that can safely be re-charged by the user.

Give the landlord 24hrs to respond (no hot water) with a follow up that if he doesn't then you will get someone it to fix it and send the bill to him.
ED48FC84-4653-4432-B5C9-B2FFA384F199.jpeg
This is the make. The first round thingy in the middle is leaking slowly cold water too.

Thats the upper heater/thermostat. Shouldn't be any water coming out of there unless it is seeping from around the gland nut.
If the electricity is turned off, you can safely remove the small nut and take the cover off to see if you can determine where the water is coming from.
If it appears to be coming from around the edge then it may simply need nipping up tighter, (has a new heater been fitted recently? Should have been checked for tightness after first heat up). If the water is around the terminal posts then it will probably need a new heater/thermostat fitted. Landlords responsibility in both cases, so get on to him to get it fixed asap.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, if there is water coming from the bottom of the immersion element then please don't use the cylinder. Best of all, if there is a stop tap to the cylinder then turn it off and open up a hot water tap to release any pressure that may have built up. It is probably a similar symptom to the tundish whereby the over pressurisation of the cylinder has compromised the immersion elements seal, may just need nipped up, may not, but that's for a qualified engineer to acertain. Make sure whoever is looking at it is qualified and check their credentials

Send the landlord an urgent text/email asking him to get someone who's qualified to look at it ASAP, tomorrow at the latest.

Thats the upper heater/thermostat. Shouldn't be any water coming out of there unless it is seeping from around the gland nut.
If the electricity is turned off, you can safely remove the small nut and take the cover off to see if you can determine where the water is coming from.
If it appears to be coming from around the edge then it may simply need nipping up tighter, (has a new heater been fitted recently? Should have been checked for tightness after first heat up). If the water is around the terminal posts then it will probably need a new heater/thermostat fitted. Landlords responsibility in both cases, so get on to him to get it fixed asap.
Thanks. I just moved to this apartment two weeks ago. It says 2012 on the cylinder so I’m assuming it’s 10 years old or so … I’m so new to all of this so worried to touch anything and make stuff worse

Unfortunately, if there is water coming from the bottom of the immersion element then please don't use the cylinder. Best of all, if there is a stop tap to the cylinder then turn it off and open up a hot water tap to release any pressure that may have built up. It is probably a similar symptom to the tundish whereby the over pressurisation of the cylinder has compromised the immersion elements seal, may just need nipped up, may not, but that's for a qualified engineer to acertain. Make sure whoever is looking at it is qualified and check their credentials

Send the landlord an urgent text/email asking him to get someone who's qualified to look at it ASAP, tomorrow at the latest.
I can only see cold and hot water mains taps (they’re both on right now). should I run the hot water in the kitchen sink/ bathroom? Would this relieve some sort of pressure ?

Don't worry about the cylinder, as long as the immersion heater isn't on then it'll be fine till its looked at. The tribune don't have an internal bubble IIRC so it'll probably need the white EV looked at.

The stop tap I was talking about will be on the pipework that leads to the cylinder in that cupboard, there may be a tap like this one
th

on the pipework on the right hand side before a combination valve. Give us a pic zoomed out showing all the stuff in the cupboard if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back