Immersion Heater leak/drip on Range Tribune HE Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Im fairly inexperienced in plumbing and hot water systems etc, but have got an annoying drip on my hot water tank coming from the immersion heater flange. It is sort of beading out of it when the tank is 'cool' but when the tank is full of hot water it doesnt seem to drip. Any ideas as to what is wrong and how it can be fixed?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a poorly made joint at the time the element was installed.

You can usually get away with cleaning up the surrounding area and applying sealant such as Fernox LS-X - it's flexible enough for you to do this when the cylinder is hot, such that the leak will still be sealed with it cools.

Failing that, you'd have to remove and re-install the element. Lots of topics cover this, but come back here if you have to do it and need help.

Hi

Thanks for the advice- would you think tightening the flange with one of those spanners (big one to fit over) would work or could that cause bigger problems?

Also, how would i apply the Fernox sealant?

The problem only seems to occur after we've used the shower etc, when im assuming the tank is slightly cooler or refilling etc (Sorry- i have zero knowledge on this subject)

Sponsored Links
jcroft1982 said:
would you think tightening the flange with one of those spanners (big one to fit over) would work or could that cause bigger problems?
Hm. Depends on what was used to seal the joint. For example, if paste had been used then this could have dried out - if you then turned the flange then the seal would be likely to crack and leak more, not less. I wouldn't touch it with a spanner unless I were removing it (to renew the element or remake the joint).

Also, how would i apply the Fernox sealant?
Er, with yer finger.

The problem only seems to occur after we've used the shower etc, when im assuming the tank is slightly cooler or refilling etc (Sorry- i have zero knowledge on this subject)
Maybe. If you're sure about where the water is emerging from then it doesn't really matter why it's intermittent, 'cos you still need to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back