Immersion Heater & Thermostat workings and diagnosis!!

so on a conitnuity test theirs nothing ?
on a ohms test it reads 0 ?
then change the complete unit & stat as they come with a stat

Sponsored Links
there was no voltage for some reason between T and N.. so i guess the heater element has packed up for some reason! why would this be? :( the thermostat would be the thing to go if anything i would have thought?!

i didn't do a resistance test, just a voltage test. what difference would a resistance test make? just to double check?

will have to change whole heater then i guess, which means draining down cylinder.

you'll need to do a resistance test to check if the element is knackered.
i've had more element fail rather than stats.

ok i will do.
still don't know what the difference is though ! i mean if there is nothing then it's dead, what's the point of doing a resistance check as well ... ?

Sponsored Links
ok so voltage is Ok to test for thermostat but for element (heater) resistance is needed ... 18 ohms is fine but less or more means its failed?

right - got my multimeter out here again. i have never used it for anything other than voltage testing! what's a continutiy test? what setting?

a continuity test is to test for a circuit that a current will flow round

yep exactly-to test for a current. so no current, in your case between T and N terminals on the heater, then it's knackered!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back