Immersion Heater - annoying me/not working :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a problem i am having which is weird - i put my immersion heater on today, hadn't used it for years. nothing.

the fuse was fine, i tested it for continuity and the meter sounded. then i tested the heater thermostat which also sounded for continuity.

next i tested my heater element, between L & N and it read 19.2 ohms. which is fine.

so why nothing? no sound when it is on, nothing...

Sponsored Links
switch it on and check for 230v alround. check the white linking wire from the stat to element may of broken down

You should be checking for voltage if you are competent!

Whatever the continunity there will be no heating up if there is no voltage.

Have you checked the consumer unit?

Tony

i didn't know about testing the link wire from the stat to the small pole. what do i test this for volts with the heater switched on?

also about the volts, i tested for vots to the element from L to N and L to Earth and nothing, and also i tested the switched unit for volts (after unscrewing it) but nothing between the L and N at the back of the switch.

My CU has fuses - and they are big fuses, so I am unsure about how to test these.

Sponsored Links
i guess this is eectrician time then? the large fuses in the CU can they be replaced/tested by me? if i turn off the whole house electric first?

also before i think about that - i tested the L & N and L & EARTH wires going into the immersion heater connection unit on AC Volts, and this gave me a reading of 0. Shoulf there have been a 23-240V reading here with the heater switch turned on? just want to be sure i did the test 100% correct.

on some systems there are 2 switches!!!!!!!!!!!

one down in the kitchen then another in the cylinder cupboard,
you are not missing one...the other thing I have seen is electricians pinching the supply from the immersion to run an electric oven in the
kitchen.

this might jog your memory!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back