Immersion Heater not working - is it just the Thermostat?

Sponsored Links
just to cloud the waters.

'rod type' thermostats used to be used in old gas cookers amongst other things. they worked on the same principle i.e. expansion differential between two metals.

i wouldn't have the patience for thermostat detail. your doing a fine job. :LOL:

Oh, you having fun? Well I'm a mushroom-cloud-laying mother****er, mother****er! Everytime I explain about immersions I'm Superfly TNT, I'm the Guns of the Navarone. IN FACT, what the **** am I doing here? You the mother****er should be on thermostat detail! We ****ing switching.

Brilliant. So effin' funny!!
I actually LOLed!! I love that film and you nailed it.

Guys, I know this is an old thread but it is excellent at describing how to test immersion heater and stat. I could do with some advice please.

I've got an economy 7 setup with an immersion heater at the bottom of the tank for night and the booster immersion at the top of the tank for top ups.

Having done the tests, the bottom heater has definitely failed so will need replacing.

My question is, is it ok to wire the top heater to the ecomony 7 circuit? (switches are next to each other)
I guess this will only heat the top half of the tank, but is it ok to do this?

It's a rented house and tenant will be moving out in a couple of months so at that point I might end up putting gas central heating in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back