Immersion heater timer fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a Timeguard NTT03 timer to my immersion heater which currently just has an on/off switch fitted to it. I want to fit it between the switch and the immersion heater but just want to clarify the wiring . Should the connector marked SL be connected to the switch side and the other live connected to the side going to the immersion? I will join the earths with a connector as the timer does not have an earth connection , I just wasn’t sure which side to connect to which live feed.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Should the connector marked SL be connected to the switch side and the other live connected to the side going to the immersion?
No, the other way round.

It is the timer doing the switching.
You have to leave the switch on otherwise the timer clock will stop.

There should have been instructions with it.
1674425203496.png

Was writing the same! :)

To add -
SL = Switched Live (the live connection that will be switched on and off by the timer)

And:
I will join the earths with a connector as the timer does not have an earth connection
These units would normally be mounted onto a metal back box, or a plastic surface mount back box - both of these would usually have an earth terminal within them, that the earth cables can be connected to.

Was writing the same! :)

To add -
SL = Switched Live (the live connection that will be switched on and off by the timer)

And:

These units would normally be mounted onto a metal back box, or a plastic surface mount back box that the earth cables can be connected to.
Thanks for the rapid reply - its a surface mounted plastic box which has an earth connector in the top corner, but I thought the same could be achieved by connecting the two earth wires together using one of those wire connector mini strips? The top corner connection is a bit awkward due to the cable length.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back