Immersion Tank keeps overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this problem. I have enconomy 7 and my hot water immersion tank has started overflowing. The water is piping hot and I do not know what is making it overflow. The water tank is in my airing cupboard and it does eventually shut off but only when the tank is full to the brim.

Can anyone help me cure the problem, I have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing and desperately need some advice.

I have a sankey immersion tank and a redring thermostate timer for economy 7.

Thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi Tim,

Yes it is. I have drained the whole system and turned the water off, but when it refills it just keeps on going. I am guessing it may be with the ballcock now, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your response.

Peter

Its a Gledhill tank, not sankey. I have tried bending the ballcock arm to cut off the water before the overflow limit but the ball either sinks or water continues to trickle out and eventually overflow.

I am not sure what parts I need, it has a straight metal arm with a floating ball at the end that unscrews. If someone can point me in the right direction for replacement parts I would be grateful.

Cheers,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the valve the ball operates has gone; just get a new one form your plumbers merchant and replace ... you can try messing about replacing parts of the old one but easier and quicker to replace the lot.

Hudd3 said:
Sounds like the valve the ball operates has gone; just get a new one form your plumbers merchant and replace ... you can try messing about replacing parts of the old one but easier and quicker to replace the lot.

Thanks mate, will give that a go. Free hot showers to anyone walking past at the moment!

Overflowing water should be cold, not hot - if it is hot water flowing out then something more serious is happening.

Hudd3 said:
Overflowing water should be cold, not hot - if it is hot water flowing out then something more serious is happening.

Yes,his hot water is expanding & travelling up expansion pipe, that`s why it`s called an expansion pipe. Cold water heats up, it expands? never done this at plumbing college? Ever been to one?

Do plumbing every day mate .... yes the overflow from the cylinder goes into the tank and should never really overflow unless the water has expanded tat much due to excess heat.

As you draw hot water, you take cold from the tank to be heated up and replace it.

My understanding is that this is the tank that is overflowing and it is this tank that would overflow to outside and have a ball valve..... and should be cold water.

"
Hudd3"]Do plumbing every day mate ..

Badly apparently...Mate
l
As you draw hot water, you take cold from the tank to be heated up and replace it.
No, you draw water from the cylinder

My understanding is that this is the tank that is overflowing and it is this tank that would overflow to outside and have a ball valve..... and should be cold water.

If there is a problem with the hot water side of the system the water in the tank may be hot (from expansion pipe) ;) & indeed will overflow I can`t be arsed going into the why`s & wherefores. I`ll leave it with you. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back