Immersion timer wiring - 5 terminals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m trying to update an old immersion timer (works only by switch, timer knackered) and confused by the fact it has 5 terminals…

There’s a fused switch connected to the existing timer meaning I have two sets of (old style) cables, not sure if one terminal in the new box ought to be unused or whether I’ve bought something unsuitable…

Any help greatly appreciated!

Laura

Attachments

• 7F0414C5-6016-4C81-943A-A18058421DEA.jpeg
    7F0414C5-6016-4C81-943A-A18058421DEA.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 9E156D19-D11A-44A2-9D4A-A37E3C813554.jpeg
    9E156D19-D11A-44A2-9D4A-A37E3C813554.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 0C529FDC-42CE-4A15-B5BE-DDC6FD98E54A.jpeg
    0C529FDC-42CE-4A15-B5BE-DDC6FD98E54A.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
The box in the last photo is designed god use with a certain type of Economy 7 supply. Is that what you have?

I guess the new box is a horstmann timer???. How many immersions do you have.?
If you have one follow the instructions. If you have two then follow the instructions…
This is the one heater version, what don’t you understand?
IMG_3545.png

Sponsored Links
These are the instructions, assume both L & N are going in from the fused switch, but then haven’t a clue which two terminals the others would go to - seems immersion N would go into terminal 3 - but appears I’d need to choose between the boost and timer terminals for the immersion L which seems odd - unless I’m completely off the mark?

Attachments

• 2384176C-76E2-4A14-A3C3-C1E7C12E1709.png
    2384176C-76E2-4A14-A3C3-C1E7C12E1709.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 32
I guess the new box is a horstmann timer???. How many immersions do you have.?
If you have one follow the instructions. If you have two then follow the instructions…
This is the one heater version, what don’t you understand?
View attachment 321765
Ah - I was missing the bridge wire info, seems likely to be the case, no? Only getting used to smaller diy leccy tasks so a new one for me! Thanks for sharing.

Yes. For one immersion you need the link.
I’m hoping you were provided with instructions with the timer?

The reason there are two terminals is that in many instances there would be two separate immersion heaters, you'd have a lower one that you'd want to run on E7 during the night, and a boost one in the top which would only heat a part tank for if you ran out of hot water in the day.

Often you'd have a timed supply from a separate fuseboard for the bottom one, and just a switch for the top one.

For supplies where the whole instalaltion goes onto the E7 rate, you could just run one supply and use the local timer in one of these controllers, which would also allow boosting the top element from the same supply (making sure the lower one wasn't on at the time)

When you just have the one immersion heater, you can link the two switch lives together and have boost on the same element as the timed supply, though there are cheaper units to acheive this functionality with just one element

Thanks both, super grateful. We have one old immersion heater in our ramshackle place we bought last December! It can be used with the boiler but the rads have to run at the same time (don’t ask), either hooked up that way or also needs some attention (turning pipework valve from boiler manually to supply hot water only doesn’t warm anything). Anyway, in the short term it means we either burn through oil at an ungodly rate or utilise the immersion on E7 - at least until we replace the heating system next year.

Yes there’s instructions to set the timer, leaflet is pretty useless but shouldn’t be too hard!

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back