immersion timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to have a timer that will activate the immersion at certain times of day but only if the water in tank is below a certain temp. Thus allowing the immersion to be used as a hot water back up but only at times of day when the elec is cheaper.
not sure if this is the right forum but thought you guys might now about timers for elec immersions,
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Most Immersion timers work on the principle of only activating the heater when the thermostat detects that the water is under a certain temperature, and that assuming the time is set correctly, it should do a nice job of economically running the hot water systems.

Please check that the Earth Bonding on and around the hot cylinder is up to scratch before doing any work on it. See the brown IEE on-site guide to BS7671:2001 for details, and you will note it mentions having a 13amp fuse-connection unit between the circuit and the immersion heater.
(BS1363 part 4 connection unit).

Am I right in saying then that if my timer is set to activate immersion between 1300 and 1600 it will only actually come on during these times when the water is below a certain temp?
Can you give me some names of good immersion timers.
Cheers

Perth said:
Am I right in saying then that if my timer is set to activate immersion between 1300 and 1600 it will only actually come on during these times when the water is below a certain temp?
Yes - in exactly the same way that if you don't have it on a timer it doesn't try to boil the water - that is why there is a thermostat on the heater. The timer is nothing to do with, and knows nothing about, the thermostat. The thermostat is nothing to do with, and knows nothing about, the timer.

Sponsored Links
Good point - rather incredible that my own brain didn't make that connection! You have to wonder at yourself sometimes ehy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back