2.7-3kw Immersion Heater via Plug In Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background first.

After having solar panels fit recently i want to to be able to time my immersion heater to heat the water during daylight hours, there is a secondry coil in the tank in which the combi can heat the water which i will time to come on later in the night.

Immersion heater is on its own 16A RCBO protected circuit connected via an FCU, what i want to do is change the FCU for a single socket (labled) and feed the immersion via a plug in timer.
The timer i was looking at today says its ok upto 3120w but not to be used for immersion heaters.
Since the immersion heater is max 3kw i would have thought this to be ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, John

Sponsored Links
Buy a timer which is suitable for an IH. You can get timed FCUs.

Mind you - the chances of ever getting your money back on it given how much actual energy you'll get out of your PV panels on average are not good.

Ah right, timed fcu sounds like a plan, cheers. :)

I understand on a lot of days it will consume more than the panels are actually producing but hoping using a combination of gas (night) and electric (day)it may prove to be a feasable option.

The past couple of days the panels were running at 80% giving out an instantaneous 3kw so on a good day free hot water and since the storage tank is a newish Dimplex unit it holds the temperature in well so wouldnt need to be on for hours to get back upto temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back