3kW immersion off a 13A plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 3kW, 13A immersion heater that I would like to change from a (broken) central timer to a local timer.

I have found a product that seems to do the trick. Would it be the correct specification?

TimeGuard Master Fused Spur:
http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/He...mer/1531897762

The other option is to wire in a 13A plug and put a 13A timer unit into the plug

My question - is wiring an immersion heater into a 13A plug OK?
Is not, is the timer unit above an OK specification?

Thanks,
Alex
[/url]

Sponsored Links
In theory you ought to be able to put it on a plug, but in practice a little bit of dirt, or worn or loose contacts, can result in overheating, and with a plug-in timer you've got two chances of that.

Use a timed spur, or a normal fused spur feeding an immersion heater timer, as then you'll have screwed connections.

Two things to consider:-

1] It is not a good idea to connect a 3kw water heating load to a socket outlet circuit from a loading POV.

2] Plugs and/or sockets tend to get hot when run at or near their maximum current rating for significant periods as I and many others will testify.

EDIT: Too slow :cry:

Sponsored Links
Its not good practise to have a fixed load over 2KW connected to a 32A ring final.

There's building regulation guidance that says that heating elements for water vessels over 15litres should have a dedicated supply.

What's wrong with the existing immersion heater supply, or do you not have one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back