Immersion heater on a plug?

That's reasonable enough, but would you say the same if the immersion was connected via, say, a DP switch - which, if the connections were loose enough, could get very hot very quickly? ... and what about cooking appliances?

I would be wary of any interconnections which became noticeably warm in service.

Sponsored Links
I would be wary of any interconnections which became noticeably warm in service.
Sure - or, at least, 'fairly hot'. However, as I asked would you feel the need to "not leave such an arrangement unattended until it had proved itself. if the "arrangement" were the hard-wiring of an immersion, cooking appliance or whatever to a switch/'connection unit'/whatever?

How much time would you spend 'attending' an immersion connection in an airing cupboard before you deemed it to have ^proved itself"? :)

Kind Regards, John

How much time would you spend 'attending' an immersion connection in an airing cupboard before you deemed it to have ^proved itself"?

Something I had worked on, assuming the accessories were up to spec. I would have little to no concerns about.

Where the quality of the accessories, or the terminations were in any doubt -15 minutes would identify any immediate concerns.

Something I had worked on, assuming the accessories were up to spec. I would have little to no concerns about.
That presumably means that you would not have concerns about the connections/termination to plug and socket if you had 'worked on# them? However, what about the accessories - would you assume that they were not #up to spec' or what?

... but, of course, 'up to spec' begs the question I've been discussing with EFLI as to what that 'spec' actually is. Do you assume that a non-faulty 13A plug/socket can safely carry 13A for an indefinite period of time, provided that conductors are terminated in them satisfactorily?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... but, of course, 'up to spec' begs the question I've been discussing with EFLI as to what that 'spec' actually is. Do you assume that a non-faulty 13A plug/socket can safely carry 13A for an indefinite period of time, provided that conductors are terminated in them satisfactorily?

I have never trusted 13amp plugs and sockets to carry the full current indefinitely, I've seen far too many over heated ones to trust them. Ignoring poorly terminated ones- The fuse holders seem to be the root cause of many/most problems, including in FCU's

I have never trusted 13amp plugs and sockets to carry the full current indefinitely, I've seen far too many over heated ones to trust them. Ignoring poorly terminated ones- The fuse holders seem to be the root cause of many/most problems, including in FCU's
Yes, I'm inclined to agree - at least that there is 'uncertainty'. As I've said, I (and probably others) have seen BS1363 [plugs/sockets that have been supplying an immersion for a very long time, with no signs of any problems, but most of us have also seen plugs/sockets (which have been supplying lesser/less protracted loads that have suffered major thermal damage - so, yes, uncertainty.

As you say, poor termination and poor contact between fuse and fuse holder are the only two possible mechanisms for overheating that I can think of.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back