Immersion on plug-in timer?

outlet.png

Sponsored Links
Is this a DPU? Any useful diagrams/explanation to show how to wire it into the ring? Or is it time to call my electrician? Very grateful for your input by the way.

Sponsored Links
I've seen 3KW fires that would be plugged into the mains for far longer than my immersion would be on. As I said there would only ever be a few hundred watts drawn on that circuit most of the time, so a maximum of 3.5KW when the immersion was on for maybe 30 minutes each day. No way would the circuit be overloaded.

. No way would the circuit be overloaded.
How do you know? You haven’t told us anything about the characteristics of the circuit!
Is it a ring final circuit or is it a radial,?
how many amps is the protective device for the circuit?
Is the circuit RCD-protected?

Where did you get this gem from? Being in France recently I saw no evidence of such a change.
I purchased some 4 socket extention leads in Auchan Calais some 8-10 years ago, I struggled to find French style. In Croatia just slighty more recently it was all German/Italian/2,5A versions.
2019 a friend travelled France & Germany for nearly 4 weeks and reckons he encountered a multitude of different versions in some of the 'out of the way' areas.

The 2kW thing is GUIDANCE. It is not a regulation.
Yes it says one way to comply with 433.1.5 can generally be achieved by. A 13 amp load at the centre of a ring final is unlikely to cause a problem. Near the CU however it may. Using the loop impedance tester easy enough to work out how close to centre or ends of the circuit, but most DIY people don't have one. And it only really applies to ring finals.

In real terms the washer/drier is more likely to cause a problem to the immersion heater when the immersion heater is on 24/7, as it only switches on to re-heat after water is used, the timer is more likely to cause a problem.

However I have the installation of a timer on my own immersion heater on my to do list, set to come on once a week after the boiler has switched off, would ensure once a week the 55ºC to stop legionnaires is exceeded, as the immersion is thermostatically controlled at the tank, but boiler only at the boiler. Easier summer option to wiring in tank thermostat.

However unless one multi-rate electric or using it like I intend, a timer will not really help, water heats up and cools down so slowly, no real point.

I purchased some 4 socket extention leads in Auchan Calais some 8-10 years ago, I struggled to find French style. In Croatia just slighty more recently it was all German/Italian/2,5A versions.
2019 a friend travelled France & Germany for nearly 4 weeks and reckons he encountered a multitude of different versions in some of the 'out of the way' areas.
Croatia uses Schuko sockets. Italian are different, 3 pins in line.
I’m not sure when the French adopted Belgium style sockets, but these days they are the standard.
I’m sure in ‘out of the way’ areas old standards can be found in the same way BS546 can be found in the UK.

Taylor...I'm assuming the two cables at the socket mean it's on the upstairs ring, which is on a 32A breaker in a dual RCD CU.
Or would a radial have two cables also?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back