Immersion heaters on 32A cable?

[*] you aren't supposed to use EN60309 plugs and sockets

Why not?

the plumber can simply unplug to isolate the elements, in order to carry out maintenance or replacement! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
You really should buy better quality elements - just dealing with the symptoms of needing frequent replacements rather than the cause is daft.

if it's rated for 13A then it can take 13A continuous..

I'd love to find 1363 plugs that can take 13A continuousely, can you suggest a suitable make?
Sorry chaps - I hadn't appreciated that the OP's thermostats were either faulty or intended to be bypassed, and that therefore the plugs would need to carry 13A continuously.

BS 1363 plugs are designed to work in 'normal temperatures'.
The standard requires that plugs and sockets shall be suitable for use in an ambient temperature in the range – 5 °C to + 35 °C, the average value over 24 h not exceeding 25 °C.

The standard requires that performance tests are carried out in an ambient temperature of 20 +/- 5 degrees.
That's the generic ambient temperature requirement for tests where a particular temperature is not specified. Ambient temperature for some of the tests is 125°.

The ambient temperature in many airing cupboards would exceed this
Then the cylinder should have more lagging applied.

Sponsored Links
what's the point of making them then?
might as well just re-classify them as 10A plugs and start only selling 10A fuses for them...

what you are seeing is probably heating caused by old sockets.. lets not blame the plugs here..
the socket connections are worn and loose and heat up because of the poor connection between the solid pins on the plug and the flexible connections of the socket..
Over the years I have replaced literally hundreds of 13A plugs and sockets.
The biggest problem, that I have found, by far is the junction between the fuse and live pin wears, causes a hot spot, goes soft and then gets even hotter.
I also find the sockets getting hot as you mention and it always seems to be the live pin. I find the older stuff (from late 60's/70's) has survived better than 80's/90's.
The recent products I find to be patchy in quality.
Last week I changed a plug and DSSO (and drylining box), it was fitted in a schools new 'tuck shop/rest room' at easter for a Burco urn and failed PAT as the 2 are welded together, both products being MK as specified.
View media item 14452 View media item 14453As you are only too aware another thread was recently hijacked for this subject so I don't intend to do that again here.
BS 1363 plugs are designed to work in 'normal temperatures'. The standard requires that performance tests are carried out in an ambient temperature of 20 +/- 5 degrees.

The ambient temperature in many airing cupboards would exceed this - so the use of 1363 plug and sockets is usually discouraged in that environment.
Are you saying 20 +/- 5 (ie 15 to 25) or -5 to +20. Either way I feel this is too narrow a range to test under as even in UK we regularly exceed these temps at both ends of the scale. Am I wrong to think that fittings in a range of products are all to the same temperature limits, so even a SFCU or DP switch may be out of range in the airing cupboard.
I have got involved in temperature limits in a freezer wharehouse at -20'C where only lighting was fitted and boiler rooms at around 40'C where BS1363 and BS4343 are common (sorry ColJack old habits die hard and customers don't know what EN60309 is but do know 43 or 4343. Should I use a paraplug for my Hoover?).

I am quoting the temperature range for performance tests given in BS 1363-1 1995.

BS 1363-4 1995 deals with connection units (FCU).

Both standards give an operating range of -5 to +40 degrees with the average temperature over 24 hours not exceeding 25 degrees.

The use of plugs and sockets is often discouraged because the temperature performance of plugs and sockets tends to reduce more with age than that of connection units.

Many would specify a 20A DP switch for use in an airing cupboard. You will note that I have not said the use of plugs and sockets is banned - simply not advised as the best choice.

Sponsored Links
I am quoting the temperature range for performance tests given in BS 1363-1 1995.

BS 1363-4 1995 deals with connection units (FCU).

Both standards give an operating range of -5 to +40 degrees with the average temperature over 24 hours not exceeding 25 degrees.
Thank you.
The use of plugs and sockets is often discouraged because the temperature performance of plugs and sockets tends to reduce more with age than that of connection units.

Many would specify a 20A DP switch for use in an airing cupboard. You will note that I have not said the use of plugs and sockets is banned - simply not advised as the best choice.
Points noted and happily agreed with.

I have removed a number of 13A plugs/sockets from immersions and replaced with 20-25A isolators and sometimes FSCU on shared circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back