13A fused spur with boost timer on a 3kW immersion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a 3kW immersion and currently wired to a switcher fused spur. I'd like to add a boost timer and have seen Timeguard FBT4N.

Reads like the new timer fused spur replaces the current switched fused spur. However this timer fused spur is 13Amp. Will this last on a 3kW, 3kW is the max for 13Amp isn't it? I Can't seem to find the same direct replacement with this boost function at higher rating e.g. 16amp. Why not? I only see 24 or 7 day timers at higher rating. I don't want those I just want to have a timer on a boost so it doesn't get left on by housesitters and forgetfulness. I'd rather this neat solution than wiring a timer in series and yet surely 13Amp is just anticipating failure sooner rather than later?

Sponsored Links
I have one of those timeguards, hard wired in as you say, to the immersion switch. Very useful source of additional hot water with the timings available. Have had no problems.

Blup

3kW @ 240V is 12.5A.
In a lot of cases, 13A fuses and/or the fuse holders do not like being on immersion circuits.

Assuming the immersion is on a usual 16A or 20A circuit, you don't need a fuse in the connector or timer; if that is the case, get a timer or booster without a fuse.

The item is not a 'spur'.
A cable might be a spur (a branch of a circuit) but not when a normal immersion circuit.

Sponsored Links
3kW @ 240V is 12.5A.
In a lot of cases, 13A fuses and/or the fuse holders do not like being on immersion circuits.

Assuming the immersion is on a usual 16A or 20A circuit, you don't need a fuse in the connector or timer; if that is the case, get a timer or booster without a fuse.

The item is not a 'spur'.
A cable might be a spur (a branch of a circuit) but not when a normal immersion circuit.
But even they seem to be 13Amp rated. Won't it still overheat?

Mine is on 16A circuit, and have had no problems with the fuse blowing. A kettle draws more current albeit for a shorter period of time.

Blup

Found this not fuse switched rated 16Amps. But why aren't they generally 16 Amps. There must be a standards or EU reason or something? Just seems odd.

Found this not fuse switched rated 16Amps. But why aren't they generally 16 Amps. There must be a standards or EU reason or something? Just seems odd.
and I'd sooner have the isolation switch there if possible.

How is the immersion timed at the moment - or is it not?
not. just fused on/off swtich. Boiler playing up at the moment and so wanted to leave housesitters with a timer to boost hot water just incase as suspect housesitters won't diligently turn off the immersion!

Ok - so it would be better if you had a switch as well as the booster - just a 20A switch without a fuse.

OR

A more conventional system of a timer that allows daily timed switching - with or without a boost function.

If the immersion heater thermostat is set to 60ºC and the boiler is set to 75ºC then it is unlikely the immersion heater will every switch on, unless the boiler fails.

So when the immersion heater is hardly used, a 13 amp rated fuse or switch is unlikely to be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back