Boost timer in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new electric heated towel rail in the bathroom. Currently it runs into a wall plate from a fused spur (switch outside the bathroom). The switch for the fused spur is a bit inaccessible and a right pain to get to on a regular basis. I wanted to use a boost timer similar to those used on immersion and room heaters to allow me to have the rail on for a few hours at a time.

Can I fit the boost timer in the bathroom? i.e. after fused spur switch but before the towel rad? I intend to use the single gang dry line box that the towell rail currently feeds into via the wall plate?

Not sure if zones apply but the psoition of the wall plate is approximately 2 meteres from the bath and basin but close to the toilet (within 60cms).

Sponsored Links
Personally I like to keep as much switchery as possible outside the bathroom.

From a regulations point of view, the location you describe would appear to be outside of the zones so you should be OK to fit the booster there.

BUT ONLY WITH PROVISO that the circuit is RCD protected.
That is a requirement of BS7671 - but I guess that you know that?

The local authority will check that when they come to inspect the electrical works that you have just carried out. You did inform them that you were going to carry out electrical works in a bathroom, didn't you?

Yes circuit is RCD protected. New board fitted 6 months ago, all singing and dancing split circuits etc, dual RCD.

Have informed building control, just wanted to check before wasting both their and my time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back