Electric towel rail installation

if I did choose to take this electrician route, what form would he/she fill out
You misunderstand the documentation requirements.
There are two processes.
1. Certification of electrical works. ALL electrical works must be tested and a certifcate issued that the works comply with BS7671. The work you describe requires a Minor Works Certificate. The Certificate provides details of the circuits, and relavent other items (like a RCD is installed in the circuit and that it complies with its particular standard).
2. Notification of electrical works. Certain work (eg new circuits, new consumer unit, electrical work in special locations (like within a bathroom zone) must be notified to the local authority. A registered electrician is the hassle-free way of doing this. As your towel rail is outside teh zones, notification is not required.

Sponsored Links
EFLimpudence… the references to fused spurs is my terminology. As a non electrician, I am not familiar with the difference between a fused switched spur and a fused connector unit which has a switch on it to turn the towel rail on or off. Happy to be educated on this difference.
Not only your terminology. Sales outlets also make the mistake.
Manufacturers and sellers and electricians frequently do not know what they are talking about. Some even sell just the plug tops.

The plate on the wall is a Switched Fused Connector Unit. They come without switches (FCU) and without fuses (CU, also called Flex outlets).

A spur is a branch of the circuit, i.e. the cable.
A spur controlled by a switch and fuse is a Switched Fused Spur.

1. I am reading that I need two fused connector units ( EFLimpudence Sunday 4.08pm
Well you don't actually need two. That's what you said you were going to do.
You have one, so the second could just be a switch, but for looks (being the same) you probably may as well use another SFCU.

As for the fuse rating, 3A would be alright for a total of 690W, but

it doesn't really matter that much as your cable is adequate for considerably more.

OK. So it seems I can feed the towel rail cable through the plastic grommet shown by Taylortwocities, through the bathroom wall (outside the zones) to a switched fused connector unit mounted on the external wall of the bathroom with a 3amp fuse in it. The cable from this SFCU would then be connected, via a chased section in the stud wall, to a SFCU already in-situ, which is connected to a single light bulb in the loft and also to a switch which is connected to an extractor fan and light in the downstairs loo, ( separate switch downstairs for that ).
If I do the work, I need to get a registered electrician to provide me with a Minor Works Certificate to confirm that the works comply with BS7671.
If I've go this right, I should be complying with the regulations, the work should be technically sound and safe, the aesthetics meet my requirements and I might, reasonably, expect that the cost of the electrician doing his/her check and completing the MWC would be less than if I had him/her also do the work.
One last thing, ( assuming the above is correct ), is twin and earth 2.5mm the cable to use between the SFCUs, or something else ?
Please confirm.

Sponsored Links
Again you don't need the second FCU as there is a fuse in the first. 2.5mm cable is well over the top, 1.5mm is adequate.

If I do the work, I need to get a registered electrician to provide me with a Minor Works Certificate to confirm that the works comply with BS7671.
You don't need a registered electrician.
Again - It is not notifiable work therefore nothing to do with the Local Authority nor the registration schemes.
You could test and complete the necessary paperwork yourself if you had the equipment and knowledge.

If I've go this right, I should be complying with the regulations,
Of course.

the work should be technically sound and safe,
Of course.

the aesthetics meet my requirements and I might, reasonably, expect that the cost of the electrician doing his/her check and completing the MWC would be less than if I had him/her also do the work.
As you seem so uncertain, why don't you just make the hole, do the chase and fit the back box - and then get an electrician to test and connect the wiring.
He will only have to undo all your connections to test it anyway.

One last thing, ( assuming the above is correct ), is twin and earth 2.5mm the cable to use between the SFCUs, or something else ?
1.5mm² or 1mm² would do, but just use the 2.5mm² if you have it.

Thanks all for confirming how I can progress with this.
Not being a qualified electrician and posting this thread was always an admission of uncertainty related to the technical side and the regulations. I was always certain of what I wanted and sought guidance for how I could achieve both aspects of the task. You have all provided that. Once again, thanks.

Taylortwocities, what are those plastic disc "cable tidy" fittings that you show in your photo, called ? I have looked for them in B&Q and they don't know what I'm talking about. Where can I get them from ? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back