2.5mm t&e ok for immersion heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Need to replace the cable that runs from the timer unit to the the immersion heater (3kw). You'd normally use the butyl stuff, but would a piece of 2.5mm t&e be ok (as s I have lots spare!)

Distance is approx 50cm.
3kw immersion.
Timer runs to isolator switch, which runs to cu on 2.5mm and a 16amp MCB.

Also, while we're here... currently have a double socket coming off the isolator switch as a spur. Can I add another double socket next to this and spur off this spur? All are next to each other, in airing cupboard in bathroom.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi
Need to replace the cable that runs from the timer unit to the the immersion heater (3kw). You'd normally use the butyl stuff, but would a piece of 2.5mm t&e be ok (as s I have lots spare!)

Distance is approx 50cm.
3kw immersion.
NO, totally unsuitable
Timer runs to isolator switch, which runs to cu on 2.5mm and a 16amp MCB.

Also, while we're here... currently have a double socket coming off the isolator switch as a spur. Can I add another double socket next to this and spur off this spur? All are next to each other, in airing cupboard in bathroom.
It's not a good plan to have sockets on a fixed load circuit.
Why do you require 4 sockets in your airing cupboard/bathroom

You're welcome

Thanks, I'll pick up a length of the proper butyl stuff.

We have shower pump and cats water fountain plugged into existing sockets. But also have toothbrush and beard trimmer chargers. Might leave as is and move those to the bedroom then.

Sponsored Links
The chargers should not be plugged in 24/7. Maybe overnight once a fortnight or so when the items start to flag. At those times you could unplug the pump (after your shower).

The batteries in these devices are not designed to be charged 24/7. Google is our friend. Besides it is a waste of electricity.
That doesn't sound like evidence to me - more like your personal opinion.

That doesn't sound like evidence to me - more like your personal opinion.

Why do you always critise what other people post? It is well known that these items are not meant to be left on charge continuously. Google may not be your friend. Is anyone?

Why do you always critise what other people post? It is well known that these items are not meant to be left on charge continuously. Google may not be your friend. Is anyone?

Just to keep you happy I had a look on your favourite search engine. I found several statements from several sources saying such things as:

Leaving your electric toothbrush on the charger whenever it's not in use is actually the ideal way of handling and maintaining your brush. Thankfully, an electric toothbrush will not be harmed if left on the charger for long after it is fully charged.

I don't as a rule critise (or even criticise) what other people post. However when someone makes a claim that everyone has to do something their way, because they say so, then I question it. Because you spend a lot of time making incorrect statements which could cause trouble for people in many cases.

Just to keep you happy I had a look on your favourite search engine. I found several statements from several sources saying such things as:

Leaving your electric toothbrush on the charger whenever it's not in use is actually the ideal way of handling and maintaining your brush. Thankfully, an electric toothbrush will not be harmed if left on the charger for long after it is fully charged.

I don't as a rule critise (or even criticise) what other people post. However when someone makes a claim that everyone has to do something their way, because they say so, then I question it. Because you spend a lot of time making incorrect statements which could cause trouble for people in many cases.

Did you miss this?

A good tip to ensure long term reliability and performance from your brush is to discharge the brush completely every 6 months and then recharge it fully. Such activity helps ensure a long battery life.

Or this?

It is less common today, but in the past, leaving the brush on the stand, whilst connected to power would wear the battery out quicker, causing what was known as a ‘memory effect’.

Perhaps you did not read this far:

If you do want to really try and gain the absolute maximum from the battery, it is best to charge it fully and then discharge it almost entirely (not completely), down to say approximately 20% then recharge it.

Taking this approach ensures you get fuller charging cycles, rather than letting the battery discharge to 75% and then keep topping it up.

https://www.electricteeth.co.uk/charging-an-electric-toothbrush/

Ah, I see you're old enough to remember the days of NiCad batteries.

Those days are long gone.

What temperature do you think it withstands, and how many years do you think it lasts?

The ones I've seen have been in good condition after 40 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back