Impact on next doors new conservatory on our existing lean-to garage roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our garages are joined with a lean-to roof which slopes down toward our house. Next door have said that they are going to replace the section of roof (that is currently the perspex roof section in the pics attached) with a new conservatory.

What impact will this have on our existing garage roof? and also the internal structure, because at present it is just a single brick wall separating the 2 garages.

We are planning on replacing it from asbestos concrete sheets to another material late next year, and we are also looking to change the roof structure as we don't want all of the water running down toward our house (which currently runs into a large asbestos gulley inside the garage
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG
. So we were thinking of altering the roof structure so the water would run to the middle of both garages.

I would appreciate any advice and guidance please and what questions if any, we should be asking the neighbours?

Sponsored Links
Anything they do their side is their responsibility, as long as it doesn't interfere with your use and enjoyment of your section of the building. Providing the joint between the 2 roofing materials is sealed and there is no water ingress I don't see an issue.

Rainwater though maybe more of a sticky wicket, as it already drains into your side, then you retain a legal obligation to accept it. Provided they are not increasing the area of run off by extending the size of the roof next door, I cannot see you have grounds to ask for it to be altered, unless wholly at your expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back