Importing flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am ordering a quantity of solid engineered flooring

width 148mm x 15mm x random lengths top veneer 4/6 mm

Oak, Walnut, Teak, Iroko, Merbau, Jatoba, Santos Mahogany, Asia Walnut, Red Oak Beli, Birch.

100 Sq meters of Oak = £2585
100 sq meters of walnut = £3228.15
100 sq meters of teak = £4697.15
100 sq meters of Iroko = £4650.95
100 sq meters of Merbau = £3273.67
100 sq meters of Jatoba = £3273.67
100 sq meters of Santos Mahogany = £3260.42
100 sq meters of Asia Walnut = £2649.69
100 sq meters of Red oak = £2961.41
100 sq meters of beli = £2809.55
100 sq meters of birch = £1120

The teak flooring normally retails from £70 per sq meter, prices include delivery and vat.
I have added 10% to allow for currency fluctuations and delivery throughout England.

If anyone is interested in buying a quantity to help reach the minimum order quantity requirement
then i will be happy to accept orders, pm me

Sponsored Links

which one is it? solid or engineered? Them pics are of solid are they not?

Also where is the wood sourced from?

Who and where is it being milled?

What are the size of the random planks? and how many % of each size per pack/sq'm. ?

6mm solid top layer on a total thickness of 15mm is absolutely '*******s' - rule of thumb in the industry: total thickness of engineered board is at least 2 times the thickness of the top layer to prevent the top tearing the backing upwards = bowing.

Then: walnut for 32.28 q sq m including VAT??? Can't be quality if quality walnut sold by wholesalers to retailers/trade costs even more than that! Same goes for Jatoba.

Fear you're being offered porkies - minimum amount you have to purchase is a 20ft container no doubt? Market is being 'flooded' with offers like this from the East. Still have to see the first 'quality' product for that price.

Sponsored Links
6mm solid top layer on a total thickness of 15mm is absolutely '****' - rule of thumb in the industry: total thickness of engineered board is at least 2 times the thickness of the top layer to prevent the top tearing the backing upwards = bowing.

I will clarify this, that was something i had not spotted, you are right, its rubbish, like laying coper over aluminium. it would warp

Then: walnut for 32.28 q sq m including VAT??? Can't be quality if quality walnut sold by wholesalers to retailers/trade costs even more than that! Same goes for Jatoba.

Goto wickes or others, on the box "solid wood" "oak" - actuall = oak vaneer over pine!! or other

Fear you're being offered porkies - minimum amount you have to purchase is a 20ft container no doubt? Market is being 'flooded' with offers like this from the East. Still have to see the first 'quality' product for that price.

20ft container is minimum, but its the same stuff being supplied to wickes and b&q - i know thats not quality, but its the mass market!!

Woodulike, thank you for your input.

I have just finished laying a wooden floor, its engineered - ie solid wood with top layer vaneered.

the customer bought this for £46 per sq meter, this was purchased through wikes, on the back of the box, and indeed if you visit b&q you can find the same stamp of the back "made in china" then the company details.

It turns out this stuf costs 1/2 or even 1/4 of the price people are paying at b&q etc..

So i went to the manufacturer and asked for a quote, thats what i received.

I have a board here ready & available for inspection, Obviously some of you guys are into the real high end stuff, in which case this is not going to be of interest.

I think an opportunity exists here, and would like to discuss further

which one is it? solid or engineered? Them pics are of solid are they not?

Also where is the wood sourced from?

Who and where is it being milled?

What are the size of the random planks? and how many % of each size per pack/sq'm. ?

them picks are of engineered, had the very same in me hand all week long.

its sources from china, and milled in china

not sure about size of random planks, but can check for you

I am laying a floor for someone who bought these from wickes, they are solid wood, vaneered, engineered

maybe not the quality you guys always lay, but B&q ect work with the mass markets, follow what they do, and add a fitting service, you will make money all week long.

Wickes = £46 pr sq mt
plus fitting = hardwork or £25 per sq mt
cost = £46 per sq mt
profit £25 per sq mt

Our good selves £40 per sq mt
plus fitting = £20
cost =£20per sq mt
profit £40 per sq mt

china! No thankyou.

why not? its where all major retailers get theirs!

unless you have imported from china before (kids toys from blackpool excluded) then you only have the word of your competitor!!

mmmm.... wonder who is ma
king the greater profit!!

What climate are they drying it to?

Our B&Q flooring was made in GERMANY! Printed in nice big letters on the back of each board.

Based on my experience of Chinese products there isn't a bargepole long enough!

Anyone remember paint containing lead on children's toys and baby milk to name 2 recent issues.

Now to be honest, many reputable European manufacturers first started working together with East European partners. Over the last few years this is now switched to China, where first old machinery was brought into and rubbish products produced.
Now more and more again reputable manufacturers are working together with Chinese partners and bringing better machinery there which results in better quality products coming from China.

However, quality comes with a price. Quality products from China are - when you include freight - hardly cheaper than produced here, just a few pounds. Absolutely not ten or twenty pound difference. Low prices for products from China does mean questionable quality and questionable sources/manufacturing practises.

Have you looked into import licences and duties????

As the importer can you be sure that the product is safe (Bear in mind in particular the example of lead in the paint used on children's toys). Under EU law the IMPORTER is responsible for the safety of imported goods, not the foreign supplier. Is it worth getting CE testing done for a container load?

China is a different world, even where the machinery is good you still get manager's who just want to make as much money as possible and sod the rules (e.g. in the paint example the factory was provided with the proper lead free paint which they sold, they then bought cheap paint (containing lead) and pocketed the difference, after all who will really know). After all as long as the nice man from Mattell has the quality certificate he won't really look too closely. . . . .

Now exactly what are they using to treat the wood and how can you be certain that they are doing exactly what they are telling you. Only way to check is to have a man on site watching what they do and to do that your profit disapears. Only worth doing on multiple container loads. That is how you have to work when importing from China.

Import license/paperwork and duties are standard

I have selected the same supplier that wickes use, i will also be going over to check that these things are excactly what i need and finished to the same standard, no point in spending 40k if your not willing to spend £300 for a flight over there to check.

Have also been looking at whirlpool shower/jacuzzi's £200, leather sleigh type beds £70, outdoor jacuzzi spa's £300 and kitchens £12/sq meter

so plenty to watch out for.

I understand that china use many processes no longer legal in england, but also surprised this went unoticed for some time.

be carefull with electrical goods. My hottub set on fire after a day!

Had replacement control panel and the electrics where substandard and illegal in the u.k so ended up paying out 1500 quid extra to have new controls put in to become legal.

There was no way a sparky could pass the thing off the way it was.

I also know that there jucazi and showers wont pass our regs. My friend that ordered the 100k shipment of the lot was scrap. And good luck sending the lot back for a refund !

I would really think twice about buying the timber of them. All the latest complaints we have been on are products from china with poor milling and wrong kiln drying.

Do you have any photos of the engineered flooring because those you have posted are of solid wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back