Improving underpiped CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i moved into a house (late 70's build) which was extended in 2003.

Originally, the downstairs radiators were supplied in 15mm copper with pipes in the screed. There were 6 radiators originally, and the extension has clearly tacked 3 more onto the end of the circuit. All in 15mm.

The radiators in the original part of the house do get adequately warm, but the newer 3 don't get hot enough until the TRVs in the older part of the house start to close - seriously underpiped.

I've balanced as much as I can but the first few radiator lockshields are close to closed, and it's making the boiler cycle more due to reduced flow, so it's not ideal.

One day i'll repipe the lot, but that's quite a big upheaval so it's not happening now.

One thing that I could quite easily do is add new (extra) flow and return pipes via the roof of the extension and drop down the wall and tee in to the tails at the most distant radiator. Then my flow and return pipes would be supplied from both ends.

It strikes me that, although not ideal, this might get me a worthwhile flow improvement. It seems a bit like a ring final circuit in wiring - where two smaller pipes (cables) share the flow.

Has anyone ever done this? did it work? am I wasting my time if i try?

Sponsored Links
I've got a grundfos alpha2 at the moment. I run it on the adaptive speed 2 setting and it averages about 20W. When i put it on speed 3 it goes up to 45W but gets quite noisy - rumbling pipes and too much flow noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back