Improving wall quality before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, full disclosure. Ive never done any plastering, or indoor house painting and plan to do both for our home (Probably not all at once mind you).

The question I have is regarding refining the wall surface before painting.
Ive removed the majority of wall paper (still need to clean a little more) and had planned to sand with 120 grit prior to painting but there are areas that are problematic, particularly around chimney breasts, a boarded up fire place and where a wood stove been installed. You can see there are raised areas, chips, rough corners and some larger wobbles, as well as a generally rough surface.
I was considering using a plaster for the gouges and refining the breast corners and then (maybe) doing some skimming over the whole area before sanding. Would some kind of adhesive treatment (like PVA) prior plastering be recommended first? Would plastering and then sanding be sufficient before painting? Is skimming something like this overkill? Again, this is all theoretical to me so some general thoughts on this process would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_9267.jpg
IMG_9266.jpg
IMG_9264.jpg
IMG_9263.jpg
IMG_9262.jpg
IMG_9261.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back