paint on wall before plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have blocked off a doorway, with a stud wall (plaster boarded it) ready for a plasterer to come out for hire.
Before I hire a plasterer, does anyone know this:

I am going to get the plasterer to skim the whole wall including the blocked off plaster boarded new wall, the existing wall is a solid wall, and already plastered, but there is paint on the wall.

Do I need to remove the paint on the existing wall exposing the existing plaster so that the skimming can stick to the existing wall, or can I just leave it painted?

Sponsored Links
You dont need to remove the paint from the wall before you skim it. You or the plasterer can grout over the paint to form a key for the new plaster. Mix playpit sand cement and pva together the same as paint and then brush on the wall. Leave for 24 hours and then you can skim over it. :)

Unless its vinyl or gloss on there, just a conventional PVA prep will probably be all that’s needed but I would advise you speak to your plasterer first before doing any prep work. Whilst some will be happy for you to help out, many will prefer to do everything themselves as it’s the only way to have control over what’s done; remember if he does the prep & it goes wrong it has to be his fault, if you do it, it could be your fault! If he doesn’t mind you doing the prep, follow his instructions explicitly, I assume you’ve left the PB level with the surrounding wall? Make sure he reinforces the joints thoroughly before skimming.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back