Plastering a doorway, whats the gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to block off a doorway and plaster board it, also taking all the wallpaper of this wall down to the existing bare plaster.
What gap do I need to leave, between the plaster board and the existing plasted wall in order for the plasterer to plaster over the existing wall and the plaster board on the blocked off door. I take it I do not leave the new plaster board flush with the existing plaster.

Sponsored Links
I’m assuming the doorway is in a block wall & is not stud? As sugested, you can keep the level of the p/board flush with the surrounding plaster but break away the edge all around the door to provide a good key for the new plaster; rough fill the join with Bonding plaster & tape the joins well before skimming the lot. The best method of reducing the chance of future cracking is to remove the plaster back to blocks all around the door opening by around 200mm, fit studs to the door opening so the p/board ends level with the face of the original plaster & fix suitably sized lump of p/board so it actually overlaps the blocks all around; use dot & dab mix on the wall & screw to the stud work. You may have to fiddle with the stud levels & p/board thickness you use depending on the depth of the original plaster. As before, fill any gaps between the p/board & original plaster with Bonding, tape the edges well & skim the lot.

Sponsored Links
If your having the whole wall slimmed then you can have the plasterboard flush to the level of the existing plaster finish, (don't forget to scrim the edges, although the plasterer will do that as a matter of course).
If your just patching where the doorway is boarded over, then set the face of the plasterboard back about 3mm to leave enough room for the new plaster so that it is level with the original plaster finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back