In 2021 what's the easiest way of removing woodchip wall paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All suggestions welcome otherwise I'll be here at Christmas still trying to remove it

Sponsored Links
the problem is that it is usually painted and the paint prevents water soaking in.

roughly scrape it to knock off some of the scabs.

mist it with warm water + WUL from a large garden sprayer. The water will soak in through the scabs because you have broken the film of paint. Scrape off some more and spray it again. You will see the colour changing where it has become damp. Keep working round the room and lightly mist it as you go. Don't let it dry and the water will slowly soak in.

It will soften where damp and become easier to scrape off more of the scabs. Once the water has got behind the paint you can start scraping off the paper.

start from the top, because once you have done that, you can spray the wall and the water will start to run down behind the paper and loosen it.

don't lose your temper and scrape it dry because you will scratch the plaster and have all the work of repairing it.

Sponsored Links
25mm blades https://www.toolstation.com/snap-off-blades/p57707

Fit in
https://www.toolstation.com/prep-heavy-duty-scraper/p29412

Scrape the wood bits off then garden sprayer. Needs to have several sprays over 40mins so it's all in the timing of spraying ahead to match the removal rate. Too soon and it's dry and too long it's also dried off too much.

I've got the aggressive scrape and I can realty shift it and when I see others having ago they are like a fairy. Either the plaster or paper is coming off when I do it!

I actually enjoy it and would strip on a day rate all day every day.
I tape plastic to skirting so easy clean up.

You can wet the wall and drape plastic down to trap water for a couple of hours doing a wall at a time also works. Some put a little paste in with water and roll on prior to plastic sheets.
Wickes sell the best plastic

I too use a scraper to knock the wood chips off. It is very dusty though.

Fortunately, I don't come across it very often.

All too often, the stuff I have encountered has been painted with vinyl silk which prevents the steam from penetrating. I use a Paper Tiger to puncture the paper

screwfix.com/p/zinsser-paper-tiger-scoring-tool-3mm/3469h

I then spray the paper, let it soak and need be use a steam stripper.

Like wayners, I use polythene on the floor which can then be binned with the wet paper.

Alternatively, you could use 40 grit paper and a DA sander connected to a dust extractor rather than knocking the chips off. It probably won't be any faster but it will keep the dust down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back