In Line Extractor Fan - increasing power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

I had an inline 4" extractor fan professionaly fitted but I am finding it is not strong enough to suck up all steam.

When I place a tissue near the vent it only very lightly pulls it up. I doubt it is pulling any steam from around in.

Is there something I can do myself to make it a bit more powerful.

thanks
J

Sponsored Links
What does the specification say regarding air flow. Where is it being used?
Do you have any path for air to actually get into the room to replace what the fan is removing?

I will have to check on the box about specification.

Regarding path, I always leave the door and window [facing each other] little bit open.

To be fair, you don't need a fan that is too powerful - it will chill out the room big time. Probably more important is a timed run time after the room has been vacated.
You can't increase the power of the fan, but flexible ducting, long runs and bends all play their part in its performance.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is timed to run for 5 -1 0 minutes. I have experimented showering with and without fan being turned on and the time it took for windows to clear of condensation was roughly the same.

I am not even sure if the fan is even doing anything...except making noise

Thanks guys, I already have the kit in place, is it relatively simple to just replace the fan.

yes

except that to use 2-speed you would need an extra switch in the bathroom. Maybe a pull-cord near the shower; otherwise leave it on low speed for a bit and see if that is enough. as long as it comes on with the lightswitch it should keep the humidity and odours down.

Leave the door and window shut so it can create suction in the room. It will draw in fresh air through the gap under the bathrrom door.

yes

except that to use 2-speed you would need an extra switch in the bathroom. Maybe a pull-cord near the shower; otherwise leave it on low speed for a bit and see if that is enough. as long as it comes on with the lightswitch it should keep the humidity and odours down.

Leave the door and window shut so it can create suction in the room. It will draw in fresh air through the gap under the bathrrom door.

I already have a pull cord for lights and it comes on with the lights. There is an extra switch outside the bathroom if I want to isolate it.

I am wondering if I already have a two speed fan fitted. I will try and find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back