In Line Fan for cooker ventilation ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a rangemaster 90cm cooker hood which I'm pretty sure that the Motor is on its way out. Its always been really noisy anyway, but seems to be getting worse. Even when it was new, on high speed we have to turn the TV up quite a bit in the kitchen diner to hear it. The cooker is on an external single story kitchen extension wall. Its vented up into the roof and outside via a Facia vent. (A very short run of ducting) My question is

Would it be possible/ Feasible to remove the internal fan and run aluminium flexible ducting up into the Attic/ roof space to a Domestic Inline fan ( Say a Manrose MF100 ) and Vent this outside through the Facia ??, Possibly with a speed controller switch. I'm sure this would be a lot quieter than the present inbuilt fan and probably more effective. Would this contravene any regs ?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Kitchen air specially above the cooker has oils and fats in the air, which over time will build up in any vents or fans, so they need access for cleaning, however this does vary kitchen to kitchen, so in some they can actually get away with an heat recovery unit, in others they would block up in a few months.

We find we hardly ever use the cooker hood, with an induction hob it is only cooking smells it extracts, however with gas then clearly it is also combustion products that the hood takes away. Also it with change the temperature of extracted air, with an induction hob it is cold enough we can put a sheet of paper between pan and hob to collect splashes and it does not burn, with gas there are limits to distance between hob and hood because the gases get so hot.

So with an electric induction it is likely there would be no problem, even if grease builds up, it is not really that much of a fire risk, there are no flames to set it on light, with gas however then I would say the risks are too high.

With non induction electric the air is hotter, however not as hot as gas. I hope now the risks are pointed out, you can make your own mind up as to if appropriate in your case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back