In-Line Undersink Water Heater Question?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water from our gas boiler which is situated upstairs takes a long time to get hot in the kitchen due to the travelling distance. As it is just me and the wife now I had the local water company put in a meter. In the past year this has certainly reduced our water bill but I have been looking at the DAFI inline undersink water heaters range and am thinking about putting in their 7.3Kw version. This requires a 32amp fuse and therefore I intend to put an add in the My Builder and Find a Tradesman sites for an electrician to install a 32amp extension. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for the electrician?. I shall be installing the plumbing for the heater myself. Also I'd appreciate any advice on this type of heater but all the info I have googled says they are pretty good. Just want something to heat the water for the washing up and save on the water and gas bills as well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. It isn't really a matter of cost so much as a matter of waste. It takes a couple of minutes I reckon before the water is running hot enough for washing up and multiplied several times a day it soon mounts up, over a year it must be a lot of water running straight down the drain. The fact that the water heater will give instant hot water is a plus as well as the fact that other than the central heating and tap water everything else is electrical which for me is a plus as I have a 4Kw photo voltaic system on the roof.

Sponsored Links
Might be better off asking on the Electrical page, they'll have a better idea of what's involved. Do you have spare capacity on the existing consumer unit?

If practicable, running a new dedicated 10mm hot supply pipe from very close to the combi boiler to the kitchen hot tap will greatly reduce the delay in hot water delivery whilst maintaining an acceptable (IMO) flow rate.

This two minute delay is what you get when the combi installer has reused the original hot water pipe (correctly sized for a gravity install but now oversized) : the delay is down to the volume of water in the pipe that has to be run off.

Insulating the 10mm pipe and enabling the DWH pre-heat function on the combi (if applicable) will also help.

The flow rate from a 7.3 kW heater will also be poor compared to what you get from your combi, maybe by a factor of 3 or 4.

I've considered doing this in a bathroom for hand-washing, but I wouldn't want to do it for a washing-up sink.

You can also get electric under-sink heaters that include a small tank; that might be more suitable.

If practicable, running a new dedicated 10mm hot supply pipe from very close to the combi boiler to the kitchen hot tap will greatly reduce the delay in hot water delivery whilst maintaining an acceptable (IMO) flow rate.

This two minute delay is what you get when the combi installer has reused the original hot water pipe (correctly sized for a gravity install but now oversized) : the delay is down to the volume of water in the pipe that has to be run off.

Insulating the 10mm pipe and enabling the DWH pre-heat function on the combi (if applicable) will also help.
That isn't really the problem. The old combi-boiler was behind the fireplace in the living room. When I had the new boiler put in, the engineers wanted to put it in the cupboard beneath the stairs and route the pipes under the floor boards from there. I said no as I had only just laid a quite expensive engineered floor a couple of months previously over the whole ground floor and didn't want to have to lift it all up again. We had an unused cupboard at the top of the stairs with a face on the external wall which they needed and so I got them to mount it in there instead. Then they used the existing gas and water pipes which exited from the chimney breast in the loft.
The loft is converted into an extra room and when I originally did it I had boxed in the water header tank and this box was removed anyway for them to get access to the water supply. The existing gas pipe ran under the living room floor to the side of the chimney breast where it went through and connected to the combi. This and the water pipe to the loft header tank were contained in a boxed channel channel running from the living room chimney breast up through our bedroom into the loft. So they just soldered an extended gas pipe from the living room to the loft and then ran both across to the outside wall side and down into the old drying cupboard where they connected to the new boiler. This meant a lot of pipe to travel from the boiler up over the loft and down again to the kitchen. But I preferred that as I just did not want to lift all that brand new quality flooring and underlay, as it never locks again as well as it did when new in my experience. I already insulated all that pipe in the loft as it runs outside the room parameters.

Might be better off asking on the Electrical page, they'll have a better idea of what's involved. Do you have spare capacity on the existing consumer unit?
Yes maybe you're right. I will leave it here and see what replies I get and then try that if no one offers a solution.

Have you thought about installing a Combisaver, you'll still have the time lag, but you won't waste as much water. They're designed to allow a trickle of water through, until the waters hot enough to be useable, then it increases the flow.

My mother has a 5Kw under sink instant water heater, and it'd pretty good for washing up plates etc, so a 7.3Kw (or higher) should be fine, and they're a lot less hassle than the undersink type that have a storage tank, as these need an overheat outlet pipe in case of problems.

I have been looking at the DAFI inline undersink water heaters range and am thinking about putting in their 7.3Kw version.
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
I have a 7.3Kw Dafi to supply hot water to a small sink in the toilet room in a holiday chalet in Somerset. If you are happy with a VERY slow flow of warm (not hot) water then buy one. If you want to supply a kitchen sink to wash the dishes then forget it. It's not too bad in summer when the incoming water temp is not too cold but in winter it's almost unusable.

Quite seriously, even though only 2 in the house, consider getting a slimline dishwasher. IF you have the room for it. We wouldn't be without ours;)
Wouldn't have one here. There is a lot of limescale in the water here and it leaves streaks all over the dishes when using a dishwasher.

Wouldn't have one here. There is a lot of limescale in the water here and it leaves streaks all over the dishes when using a dishwasher.

Did you know there's a control on most dishwashers to adjust for water hardness?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back