In the archives - (PVC soffits)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bloke at work was telling me about some work he was going to get done on his house ref. replacing/covering the timber soffits/facias with uPVC. It sparked something in my memory about a thread I read on here saying why the timber shouldn't be ripped down as then the entire roofline sags after a year or two. I promised to get the info for him, and having hammered the search function I can't find the thread I had originally read.

No matter - what is the dealio with getting ones' roofline replaced with uPVC - take off the timber and replace with weaker uPVC, or cover over the timber and let it rot?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
If the wooden soffit/fascia is rotten it should be removed, if its not rotten overcladding wont cause it to rot.

9mm vented or hollow soffit can be installed without anything below, a strap fixed along the back and leading edge to tack the soffit to will suffice.

You can get the thicker fascia which (theoretically) does not require a backing board, but it's crap, more expensive (hardly anyone quotes for it) and like you say it's not a good idea to remove the fascia.

Removing the fascia and replacing with a thick fascia does require a bit of experience otherwise a tradesman will nail it on and it looks like a wavy worm from down below. We only remove the wood but mainly if we quoted for capping we’d loose it to the cheapest person as every man and his dog is doing it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back