Clad or replace facias and soffits with PVC?

Lad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is better to clad or fully replace existing wooden facias and soffits with PVC? As far as I can see, the facias and soffits are sound i.e. no rot is present and they are painted.

I've heard that that it is better to replace rather than clad but also heard that cladding is fine as long as the underlying wood is sound. If any wood is defective then this can be cut out and replaced with treated timber before it is cladded over.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Clad it

If the existing is sound just go over it. Cut out any rotten sections though, replace rotten bits if needed, but small areas can just be cut out and left out and then clad over

Tb-you are right if the timber is sound then anything you fix on top of it should be sound,however you have to watch for the extra weight,and I know painting is a bind but it can work for a long time if done correctly and is the normal finish for timber.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Is there any truth to the content of this web page?
In particular, it mentions about paint sweating and then rotting the timber under cladded soffits, facias etc.

http://www.jmbcontractors.co.uk/hidden_dangers.shtml[/QUOTE]

As long as its ventilated, and an eaves tray inserted under the felt then just cap it :)

Its when a house has been capped and the felt edge has rotted that water seeps behind the plastic fascia onto the wood and weetabix is born so eaves protector is a must :)

Discussed more times than Madeline Mcann, do a search, loads of info on here.

:)

Thanks, Mw Roofline. There are no ventilation grills on the (wooden) soffit. Looking at other houses around my area, none of them have venitlation grills either (they're around circa 1930s). Many have PVC replacements and on some you can tell they have been capped but again no grills. Should I be concerned with no ventillation grills if I get them capped?

After the house has been cladded, the installer will get a large hole saw and drill through the soffit (underside) straight through the existing timber into the roof at periodic spacings and plugging the hole with a circular vent.

Circularsoffitventnew.gif

Or you can get eaves protection with a vent already in it so its hidden under the tiles

eaves_tray1.gif

or just strips of over fascia vent that goes on top of the existing fascia

p1847187_l.jpg

1mOverFasciaVent_t_138.jpg

But both of the above will lift your existing tiles by about 10-15 so could be difficult.

Cheapest bet is the circular vents, we usually try and put them near the windows (as long as they don't look too out of place) so the customer can pop them out from the bedroom for annual cleaning.

:)

Thanks very much for the info, Mw Roofline. Maybe(?) the other houses I've seen have the hidden ventilation type as there are defo no visible vents. I'll check mine will be ventilated :)

Just out of curiosity, what's the consequences of no ventilation? One problem I read about is ice dams forming at the eaves which allows water to get into the walls and ceilings of the house. And I'm aware that it helps reduce heat build up in the summer.

Thanks very much for the info, Mw Roofline. Maybe(?) the other houses I've seen have the hidden ventilation type as there are defo no visible vents. I'll check mine will be ventilated :)

Just out of curiosity, what's the consequences of no ventilation? One problem I read about is ice dams forming at the eaves which allows water to get into the walls and ceilings of the house. And I'm aware that it helps reduce heat build up in the summer.

Answered your own question then!

... thought I'd asked just in case there were other reasons ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back